whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i've only caught a few bass -around november- and that was on ragworm, i'm now thinking of using wedges, spoons etc..

firstly what would y'all sugest is the best synthetic bait/lure/spinner for sea bass?

secondly would synthetics be better than worm/fish baits?

graham

stingraysteve
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Graham, Fishing for Bass with artificals is an extremly large sector of the market now and growing, it all depends on how you're going to fish for them, spinning and pluging you'll need a spin rod and reel, 9' spin/plug rod or some use a carp rod (I've both) then either fixed spool reel or bait casting multi, then the lures are very varied from floating popper plugs to lead headed jellys all have there days the shad range are good as the hook point is up and won't snag on a slow retrieve, I like the floating lures and shallow divers.
As to bait well it will always be better as its natural and gives off a sent, but thats why artificals is so good you have to present the lure to look good enough for the fish to want it.

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:11 am Reply with quote Back to top

hmmm, thanks for that...
maybe if i say where i'm at...
my b-day was good to me and on top of my new boat gear, i got a 10' bass rod (to use for spinning too) and a whole load of poppers, spoons, shads, wedges etc....

graham

stingraysteve
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:44 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well you're almost there then, if you know of a place you can drift over rips or underwater ledge's where there is tidal movement and on each drift try your luck

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

check the rating for the Bass rod, most are in the 2-3 or 3-5oz range which will be to heavy to work lures like poppers and shallow divers properly. you say its only 10ft tho so might have a lighter casting range.
most poppers, surface lures and jelly lead heads will be an ounce or less, many around the 13g-25g range.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 12:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

is it worth trying to add say a half ounce drilled lead or something similiar ot the mainline just to give abit of an extra ooomph if the casting wieght of the rod is 3-5 or 2-3 ounce as some spinners and lures are light.

geordie i think also you would need to find some sea where there isnt much colour in the water,how else is mister bass gonna find mr.lure apart from the vibrations that some of them make.

im only guessing,ive not done much spinning myself,so please dont take my advice as gospel

all the best

Andy

beyenyamin

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="andy1_i"]is it worth trying to add say a half ounce drilled lead or something similiar ot the mainline just to give abit of an extra ooomph if the casting wieght of the rod is 3-5 or 2-3 ounce as some spinners and lures are light.

Hm, i have only just started lure fishing properly, but when i was younger and didn't really understand it, i found that by attaching a lead to line a foot or so behind my lure caused the weight to carry the line and drag the lure behind it thus causing the lure to tangle up in the line behind the weight, but looking back i suppose i could have set the weight closer to the lure, however i wonder if it would affect the lures behavior in the water making it less effective? I am currently casting the lure solo on an appropriate rod, i'll let you know how it goes, had a nice little pollack on it recently (dexter wedge btw)

concordeski

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

hi not that i think i know anything, but having read, here goes! i live in france english but over this side!! done more sea fishing here than england so don't know all the english names for stuff!!

so over here to give the extra weight you need for a decent cast with a "fish" type lure etc they've got these "buldo" either solid or hollow bomb shaped ball things that float (hollow so u fill with fresh water which floats on salt and you can adjust its float sink height abit, more or less water) you attach to the reel line then several feet oflighter line to your lure, the buldo floats and gives you a mark on the surface while the lure is pulled along behind at the depth you left on the lighter line. but yeh you do get some good tangles !!

must exist at home these things but don't know what their called sorry. work quite well though, at least for me. confused

Esskie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

concordeski wrote:
hi not that i think i know anything, but having read, here goes! i live in france english but over this side!! done more sea fishing here than england so don't know all the english names for stuff!!

so over here to give the extra weight you need for a decent cast with a "fish" type lure etc they've got these "buldo" either solid or hollow bomb shaped ball things that float (hollow so u fill with fresh water which floats on salt and you can adjust its float sink height abit, more or less water) you attach to the reel line then several feet oflighter line to your lure, the buldo floats and gives you a mark on the surface while the lure is pulled along behind at the depth you left on the lighter line. but yeh you do get some good tangles !!

must exist at home these things but don't know what their called sorry. work quite well though, at least for me. confused

I'm sure they are just known as 'Bubble-Floats' in the UK?, that's the name they go by up here in S.E. Scotland anyway

They are available in 3 sizes with the weight being adjusted by filling them with water as mentioned by yourself concordeski.

However, I'm sure I'm not alone when I say they aren't as streamlined as the Drennan Controller floats (which only come in 5g, 10g, 15g & 20g unfortunately).

Compared to the Drennan type weighted float, bubble-floats don't cast as far plus there is so much more drag on the retrieve. For float fishing that doesn't involve having to cast far the bubble-floats are probably ideal!

Very visible due to their size & bright colours, probably ideal for fishing a live sandeel on a trace of decent length?

Best Regards, Andy

strathy
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Extra weight with plugs, and poppers is a big no-no , will totally screw up their action.
Ball / barrel leads or split shot Can be used with shads,eels, gulp and toby,s, to get a faster rate of sink, in deeper water/ fast tidal flows. Feather the line as you near the end of your cast to stop line tangles.
Bubble floats can be good with eels, shads and strings of feathers as the surface disturbance of the bubble float will bring bass, macky and pollock up in the water to investigate and then hopefully grab your lure.

View next topic
View previous topic