whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi all ive always wanted to use it as bait but hav nevr known how to present and prepare it and it costs quite a bit so i dont wanna get it wrong
youre help would be much appriaciated
thanks

Josh

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 5:34 am Reply with quote Back to top

I always cut 1 inch strips from the top to the belly, then do the same with the other side of the fish then throw the head into the sea. Dont mask your hook point, in other words make sure that the point of the hook is showing.

You can also use it to tip your worm, in other words put your worm on as normal then, get one of the above strips and cut it in half and then put this half piece on, this helps prevent your worm comming of during your cast and is known as a cocktail, you can also do this with squid which is cheaper.
Cheers
keith big grin big grin

gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

thanks kieth

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

With the head and guts section you have left, if you have another rod with you and a big enough hook, why not lob the head and guts out on a flowing trace with a 6/0 ish sized hook, You never know, with all that scent in the water, you may be lucky enough to hook a decent sized bass if its the right time of year??

bugboy
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:37 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I use mackerel as a main bait supply, as during the so called 'summer' bagged quite a few and then froze them for winter bait. Although all my stocks are filleted.
I cut strips of the fillet about 15-20mm wide, long ways from head to tail, then concertina it onto a hook, passing above the eye of the hook slightly. Using a bit of bait elastic to hold it up the hook, and as Rabbi say, keeping the hook point clear.
Has been an effective bait for me, but everone may have differing opinions on it as a lone bait.

ed

dontcatchmuch

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi fella i had been useing plain lug on the thames esturay for about two years untill someone advised me to tip with makie what a diferance fish bites and fish landed ten times more
steve

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

if using just mackerel I do it this way
http://haddock-fishyfishy.blogspot.com/2008/04/tip-using-mackerel-as-bait.html

same for squid or sandeel. If I add worm I loop the small end of the fishbait, put on the worm, then hook back through the fish. keeps it nice and tidy and keeps the point clear.

daddytim
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

makeral is used as a tipping bait put 2 to 4 worms on then cut a 1 to 2 inch strip and put on tip of hook and add some elastic cotton you will find this is rather effective and same with muscle and crab andf mackeral but personally i would use makeral as a main bait and a little bit of realy bad smelling muscle or crab to tip it off..... big grin

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

gallagher08 wrote:
hi all ive always wanted to use it as bait but hav nevr known how to present and prepare it and it costs quite a bit so i dont wanna get it wrong
youre help would be much appriaciated
thanks

Josh

Josh, down there on the South coast mackerel is free from May to September. Make it part of your fishing trip to do an hours feathering. You can pick up a few packs of feathers for the cost of some shop bough blast frozen mackerel. They also provide great sport if you fish for them on light tackle and jellie worms. If I could catch 5lb mackerel I wouldnt fish for anything else!! Oh, and fresh ones taste great.
Please dont get in to the habit of catching more than you need, it looks bad and is a waste of a valuable resource. Remember all that you catch you have to carry home.
As for using them for bait al your previous replies have taken care of that. I generally fish big baits so I present mine a little different.
First of all the filleting, cut down behind the gills until you meet the backbone, then run the knife along the backbone until it meets the tail. Turn th fish over and repeat the operation. This will then give you two good fillets and the head and guts. I very rarely use the head and guts as bait, I find it difficult to present nicely and I have also found difficulty with hook-ups when using it compaired to fillets. I know many people do use it but I dont know anyone who has done well with it.
An average mackerel will give me two baits. Mounted on a pennel pulley with 5/0- 6/0 hooks. I start off by threading the bottom hook through from the 'tail end' of the fillet and pass it through the flesh a few times until the bait is threaded on the line and the hook is secured in one end of it, then I try to roll the fillet into a sausage shape with the skin on the outside. When it is done I wrap it in bait elastic, wind the top hook round the line a couple of times and hook it into the top of the bait.
For Conger I dont fillet the mackerel just cut it in half or use the smaller one whole with a few slashes through the skin.
If you are lucky enough to catch some small Joey mackerel try keeping a few alive in a bucket of water and fish them under a float for bass, just nick the hook through the lip and drop them back in the water.

If I am going to keep or freeze mackerel I gut it where I catch it then put it in a cool box. When I get home I wash off the protective slime in Fresh Water and put the mackerel into ice water for about 20 minutes. I dry them off as quick as possible and individually wrap them in clingfilm. I then try to lay them out in my bait freezer so that they are in contact with the freezer itself and not other bait. This helps them freeze as quickly as possible. Once frozen I transfer them into opaque white plastic bags, this prevents freezer burn if you are keeping them for a while.
Hope this helps

NEIL

hb1961

PostPosted: Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

gonna try rhis tomorrow at gourock [thanks to all who give their tips!!!] ive been trying frozen mussel meat, [cooked] with a 2oz weight. been getting mackerel & pollack, when all around me were blanking. hope this helps any one. hugh

View next topic
View previous topic