whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
sparkyman

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 4:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi All,

Newbie to the forum as I'm going to be needing a wealth of experience over the coming months as I make a return to Sea Angling (after 25 years away).

Been looking at Rods & Reels this week, trying to catch up with developments (and prices). I'm intially going to try a spot of light beachwork including a bit of spinning. For starters, I'm looking for an 11/12' rod to throw a 4/5 Oz lead with a multiplyer.

I'm familiar with the ABU 6500 series (levelwind) having fished very happily with one back in the 80/90's. I have been researching the latest ABu series to see what new and was pleased to see the old Ambassadeurs are still around. I currently have my eye on four different models, all at the same price as either NOS, clearance stock or "bought it but never used it". All four reels are brand new, unused, boxes, manuals, tools etc.........I'm hoping for a bit of consensus as to which would be the one to plumb for out of the following;

6500 CS C3 Mag
6500 CS Inshore
6600 CS C4 (American Import ?)
Record 60 (RCN60)

As a first questions on this forum, can I ask for comments on which may be the best buy, based on all four being available at the same price ?

Looking forward to your replies - appreciate your experience & knowledge.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 6:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to the forums, i have always been a fan of the mag having owned several of them. Reel's i have owned and liked in the past include.

1. 7ht
2. slo5h 20
3. penn 525
3. abu mag elite
4. Sports mag
6. abu blue yonder( i own 2 and still use them now)

Personally i would avoid the levelwind versions but thats a matter of personal taste. If you want a good casting rod then look at the Diawa supercast range or the greys range. Some people favor the sandstorm range too. I must admit i prefer to use 13ft rods for beachcasting but that's what im used to.

sparkyman

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi FF

Ah.....rods is something else I need to get upto speed with. Local tackle shop today steered me towards a Shakespeare Salt Bass 11'6 2-4Oz.....advised it would cope with 5Oz no problem and would suit my desire for a rod for light beach work.

I previously owned 2x Supercasts....I remeber the first I got on with fine - I think it was a 12'....the other rod, purchased a lot later, was a supercast II @ 13' I seem to remember. I didn't get on with that rod, too stiff for my ability, felt like a telegraph pole.

Anyway, I will be posting a similar request for reccomendations of a suitable lo/mid cost rod to get me started.......in the Rods section naturally.

Thanks for your input on the reels - that's one vote for the Mag then, out of the four on offer

strathy
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you want levelwind either the Record 60/61 HC or the Inshore 6500/6501c3 but also worth looking at the Abu Revo Toro 60/61 HS, which has the same line capacity as the round reels but is low profile with bigger, stronger gears and stronger drag.
Review on tackletour.com.
Also look at akios reels which are an Abu lookalike but made like they used to be. the guy who has the firm is an ex Abu employee.

sparkyman

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thats very interesting. Spent an 30mins in another tackle shop over the weekend - proprietor advised that Abu are no longer the company they use to be (Now owned by Shakespeare ?) - Quality has suffered as has spares availability. He also advised not to spend on Abu now but to wait for a week when he'll have stock of Akios. He did show me a Morrum if I really wanted a true Swedish made Quality Abu........well beyond my budget though !

I appreciated his honesty, as he has a display full of current Abu models that he COULD have sold me (as a complete stranger and a novice looking for guidance). Nice to know, as I wasn't aware that the company was now under new management and the quality had suffered. Maybe this would explain that the price of a 6500 in 2011 is now cheaper than the 6500's I bought in the 1990's ?

Thanks for the Akios insight - I need to do some more research.

strathy
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

Abu , Shakespeare , Penn , Fenwick , Sebile , and a few others are now owned by Pure Fishing which is part of the Jardin group.
They,ve been going through a lot of changes with all the corporate re-arranging over the last couple of years which has ked to problems with the supply side of things , and quality control , but it looks like things are now getting sorted out for spare parts.
I don,t use FS reels too much now except for puddle chucking where I use the Abu 706 CF reel and Spro Red Arc FS. The new Abu 500 series FS reels look very good ( harrissportsmail ) or look at Shimano Exage or Seido, for your carp rod.
Its not the number of bearings that count , its the quality that matters , and the corrosion resistant ball bearings (crbb) used by Abu , Shimano , Spro and Daiwa are the best avaiable.

sparkyman

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ah.........been a few weeks now since posting here. I finally plumbed for the Record 60HC as missed the Mag (took too long thinking about it !). Also went for a Salt Bass Rod I found on Clearance. Anyway, have used the Record/Salt combo a few times now and very pleased with it. Starting to get my timing & power back into casting and very pleased. One small Bass around 1lb - my first ever, so a great return to angling. I have a cheap fixed spool which I now use with the Carp Rod - this rod will cast 3Oz with ease, so again very pleased.

Now......I found a nice 13' Beachcaster locally and couldn't resist it as it had only been used once (Owner didn't like it) - Impulse buy as a) as new, b) inspection showed quality rings & finish, c) Superb Original Hard tube with it.
I've tried it with the Record and, compared to the Bass Rod, it's simply awesome. I don't seem to be putting in any effort to get some really fair distance with it..............now I'm looking for another reel to suit.

Been looking at some other names this week, Penn, Shimano & Daiwa. Looking at a 525, Calcutta 400 & 7HT or 7HT Turbo. Again, all very similarly priced at around the 100-120 mark. Have recently read that the 7HT Turbo is not as good as the 7HT ??

Any comments based on experience of these 3 brands/4 models?

View next topic
View previous topic