whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
sparkyman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:57 pm Reply with quote Back to top

...another line question if anybody is able to throw some light on the subject....

Coloured leaders, Rig bodies & snood traces - I've seen a nunber of different clips and pictorials now where there seems to be all sorts of coloured lines used . Blacks, Reds, Greens & yellows.

Is there any evidence of fish shying away from bright or unatural colours....are clears to be used throughout, or does it not make any difference ?

I see a lot of Black & Red being used for snoods, with clear rig bodies.....is there any reason or does this just seem to be a common preference between the more experienced anglers who are posting these clips & pictures ?

I tend to use Hi-Vis leaders, just to give me an indication of the approaching rig on the retrieve, clear rig body & clear snoods.......the assumption being the clears are less conspicuos to fish and therefore less likely to make them wary.......but is this just an urban myth ?

Interested to hear what others use for Rig & snood lengths and if they catch.....or other?

Thanks

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Sparky mate, Over 50yrs of fishing you can imagine the various lines that I have used, from the old orange hand line to the more sophisticated up to date super thin super supple mono and from the old dyneema green and white braid to the very thin braid both the grey and green and in my opinion it make no difference at all to the fish. It comes down to a matter of personal choice. Like you I use hi viz yellow leader purely for the fact that in the event of crossed lines the tangle becomes that much easier to undo.

The key factor in all types of fishing comes down to bait presentation and the choice of bait used.

So to sum uo, go with whatever suits you personally.
Cheers
keith big grin big grin

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with rabbi2 (again). No one ever seems to think that in their wanderings, fish experience all sorts of colours in all sorts of environments. If they were to shy away from a colour every time they encountered it they probably would not survive for long would they? Personally I particularly favour using hi-viz yellow for my mainline becaue a) I can see it more easily and b) birds can see it so they are far less likely to fly into it. Tussling with an angry sea gull who has gotten entangled in your line is no joke.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:53 am Reply with quote Back to top

I tend to use bright lines as i used to do all my fishing at night. When i day fished i used F1 in black. Cannot really support any evidence that line colour makes any difference like that has been said bait presentation is key winking

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

the "bomber" rig is an old rig that was used by match anglers before the more recent "golds" or "loop" rig came about. the bomber was supposed to be an absolute nightmare for snoods tangling so the lads used a black, red and clear snood to help with the tangles. if the coloured snoods were making that much of a difference then the match lads wouldnt have been using them.

personally i prefer clear lines with high vis leaders, not sure why, i just do. all my traces are conducted from clear lines tho.
its all personal preferance and if you have more confidence in a certain colour or brand you are more likely to fish better with it.

dontcatchmuch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

hi sparkyman
as the others have said i also dont think it really matters what colour you use .
i personaly use bright yellow for my braid and red for my mono main reel lines .with bright orange leaders .rigs bodys are made from dark orange and hook lenghts are made up in light blue .
the only reason i try to stick to these colours for each doferent thing is i had very bad eyesight when i started seafishing and it made it so much easyer to know what was what kind of thing .my eyesite has greatly impoved since then but i still find it so easy to just look at the colour of the line and i know straight away what is what on the retreve of in the case of a tangle up .
to make things even easer i use diferent coloued beads for diferent rigs .
for example flapper rigs =green beads running leder =red beads and so on with a diferent colour for each type of rig .
cheers steve

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Try using 50lb fluorescent orange line for mullet and see how many you catch ! happy
Some species can be very line shy in clear water, bass and mullet in particular . Others species will take a bait tied to baler twine .

In dirty water or at night or a competitive shoal feeding line colour is less important.

That resident 10lb bass or mullet has probably seen fishing line 100 times and avoided it. winking

sparkyman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

..Many thanks for the input. This is very interesting reading. I can see that certain species, such as mullet, may be more timid than others, but again this can be dictated by competition for any food that's available.

Regarding main lines, I was recently told that Pink braid is the least visible in sea water ???

I've also posted a thread on Main Line - I've read many reccomending the more well know types such as Tritanium, F1, Sensor etc....

...I've just bought two new spools of Sufix, Elite & DUO Core which look and feel unlike any of the usual mono's I'm familiar with. Also have 20lb tests with only 0.33 & 0.35mm. I'd be interested to hear if any of you regulars have any experience with these Sufix offerings? I've only just started hitting 125yds with a 6500CL, so I don't think I'm best place to review characteristics such as "casting" ability etc, but if nobody has used either of these before, I might just post what I find in comparison to the 15lb Red Ice I'm currently using (and finding a little wire-ey sometimes)

View next topic
View previous topic