whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
sparkyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

...the Paul Kerry book was well out of date but was a nice read......the Phil Hyde DVD didn't cover much casting, the casting part was more of a mini overview of the previous casting tutorial on DVD part 1......but I learn't a lot about ragworm hunting !

I had a reply from Vinny @ 24/7 SAC - they're based in Plymouth, or even fruther east, so although he was very willing to help it would have menat some very careful planning. Another forum member here has replied to my post for a local tutor and he's made me aware of a local club (that I didn't know existed) - so i'll be in touch with them soon to see if they're able to help.

RW - I've sent you a PM on a seperate topic

Snagger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I use Braid on all my multipliers but only as a shock leader.

smaller leader knot + less resistance + less wee
d.

Tim cool

sparkyman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

....I know this is probably off topic now, but my question has been satisfied now, so this could be a fitting end.

I spent 4 hours on the beach yesterday afternoon, with the family, took my tackle as I had some bait left over from earlier in the week. Near the end of the session I decided to "try" a pendulum cast, purely based on what I had picked up from the Paul Kerry book, Phil Hyde DVD......and a nice set of youTube clips from John Holden.

My first cast was "Gentle" on purpose, completely new technique for me and I must admit I was very cautious. Anyway, a bit ragged but the first cast went surprisingly well and it seemed the lead was airborne for a lot longer than usual ?? A little bit of nest at the end, but a couple of pulls took care of the excess.......then I noticed dark spots on my spool line which I thought was weed ? Surprised to find weed that deep in the spool, I took off my sunglases and then realised that it wasn't weed, it was the holes of the vented spool showing through.........then it suddenly dawned that I'd never cast so far before, there was only 2 or 3 lays of line remaining on the spool - couldn't believe it - first attempt at a pendulum - made my day.

SO, I promptly reeled in and removed the baited rig and wound up for another cast - like before, I didn't really seem to put in much effort and the lead climbed into the sky. Watching the reel now, I quickly saw the vented spool emerging again, then suddenly empty, thumbing the spool to a stop, jerking the lead quite badly, but saving an enivitable snap off from the spool knot - a dozen turns or so left on the spool - my wife thought I'd hooked myself as I started jigging around on the spot - hahah....cracked it at last. I had another 4-5 casts, all with virtually the same result - an empty spool.

When I got home, I checked the capacity of this reel (RCN60) - 145yds of 0.35. Now, the spool is not up to lip with 15lb Red Ice, but it's only a mm or so below......with the tapered leader it is up to the lip, maybe too much as I cant remove the spool from the frame due to line bulk. Allowing for this and a bit more margin for error, I'd like to think that these casts were around the 125-130yd mark. Watching the 6Oz lead hit the water a few times, the extra distance was clearly evident, at least half as much again as my previous best distances with my lifelong habitual technique of an overhead lob, with a bit of initial lead swing thrown in (pendulum styly).

This is really going to help me get into the back of the breakers now when the surfs up. I'll have to try again next time with the Calcutta to see how the lack of level wind affects me . I'll start off with all brake blocks enagaged and work down from there, as I'm still not sure if this Calcutta is a good casting reel or not ?

Like I said at the start, I know this is off topic, but just wanted to share this with you all - it may sound daft but I'm still grinning at watching that spool empty (even if it was a low capacity spool) happy

dontcatchmuch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

hi sparkyman
not of topic really mate its nice to know that you have got the answers you needed and that you have got your casting well on its way .congrates and good luck .keep us informed on how things progress
cheers steve

sparkyman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

...thanks for that - I'm still grinning happy

....also picked up an earlier Green Mag Elite as a "better than average" reel that should allow me to get the most out of this casting style.

I like the Power handle - does anybody know where I can source such a handle for retro-fitting to my Record ? I haven't tried Abu UK, but I've heard that spares support is not too good so I haven't tried as yet....

Many thanks all

dontcatchmuch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi sparkyman
try ebay mate there are always loads of spears for abu on there .might take a bit of time to look but could be worth it
cheers steve

sparkyman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:30 pm Reply with quote Back to top

...I had a scout on eBay over the weekend - a few second hand ones around so i'll keep watching in case I can't find the actual Record handle

I also got in touch with my local tackle shop who confirmed that, spares support from Abu UK is virtually non existant unfortunately - not quite sure why this should be but from what I'm told Abu is now part of a multi-brand target hungry consortium and hence the spares & support side has all but evaporated in favour of regular renewable sales of cheaper disposable products.

The chap I bought the Mag from put me in touch with a friend of his who has regular stock of new spares - spoke with him today and hope to have the actual Record handle within a few weeks - should know more tomorrow.

Thanks for your help..........neighbour found a "Fishing With Finn" weight on the beach today, odd looking 6Oz thing with wings, so I'm off now to find out what they're all about?

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:41 pm Reply with quote Back to top

The weight is suposed to plane upwards on a fast retrieve so as to clear any snags, A similar thing is a plastic lead lifter that you fasten the wight to the bottom of.
Cheers
keith big grin big grin

sparkyman

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

....only had the chance for a few hours on the beach this weekend, sadly me previously found form didn't accompany me ! I was using a different reel, but I don't think that was the cause of my problems.

No frap-ups, but low & left casts. Thinking back this week as to what I may be doing, I seem to recall getting pre-occupied with the lead swinging up my R/H side, past my head on the in-swing. I think I may have been tending to pull the rod around, watching the arc, cautiously concerned where that lead had gone, rather than looking up & out.

RW - I know exactly what you mean - the previous weekend's outing felt effortless.....more luck than judgement me thinks ! Probably trying to hard this time out. Knowing where I might be going wrong will help me try a new approach - think I may try some dry runs to get a feeling for the arms high unwind, javelin throw, push/pull sequence...also get the wife to do a spot of video work for later review.

I can see where the 1-2-1 tuition would help speed development. Must join my local club and muster a tutor !

sparkyman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

....another few weeks of practice & fishing....getting the hang of this now. My wife took a few video clips which showed me pulling the rod around, whilst looking rearwards. As I thought, I was "trying" to follow the lead around.....by the time I was looking ahead & released, the rod had travelled too far & too low - the late release causing the low & left trajectory. By the end of the session, I had begun to turn earlier, but was still low & left. I had a nice compression & feel in the rod.....plus a blistered thumb as I now struggled to thumb the spool prior to release (obviously much more loading). Posted a youTube clip with a request for watchers to post some "tips" for improvement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWnWan7wPto

Next practise trip I had a few dummy runs with the rod, making an effort to keep left elbow high, turn early, looking up & out. BIG difference, although now I'm not so weary about the lead, more about the rod tip hitting the beach - another phobia I need to get over now !

Anyway, net result is consitent distance & direction. I was practising in the shallows on a sand bar and had picked out a dark shadow in the clear water (big mass of weedy rock) as a "target". Every cast went in front of & right of target - I was within a 10x10m square box every time........which was very satisfying. No frap-ups, no problems - a nice 1hr session.

Since then, I've acquired a used Penn Vendetta.......which is a lot "flexier" than the Ovation surf and seems to suit my "learner" status a lot better - I can feel this rod flex a lot more and lock up and I'm getting great consitency, but it still doesn't feel as natural & fluid as i think it should.......more practise....MUST find that tutor to

Casting aside - Bass Rod, fixed spool & 80 yd flick has netted me 4 small turbot in the last two beach trips......plus one mackeral on my plugging outfit ! Improving techniques and catch rate - think this year will be more of me finding my feet than smashing any records or feeding the family !

View next topic
View previous topic