whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
MrFeather

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hey everyone!! nice to meet you all! ! ! as you have probably guessed i'm new to the forums and decided to pluck up the courage to find new friends as well as pick up some great advice from pro Anglers =)

ive always done course fishing and have used my shakespeare Carp rod and fixed spool reels and thought i would change scene and do sea fishing,
Iv'e had a fladen 12ft power stick rod since i was 16 that i bought from a second hand shop as i only had pocket money back then lol. I'm now 25.. but never used it until last week and i gotta say WOW... i <3 sea fishing!! 9 years of that rod sitting in my shed makes me hurt inside ; ;

Now i do have the fladen rod and a fixed spool reel which is a shakespeare make, ive been looking up the Multiplier reels for the last couple of days and i thought i would give it ago and i bought one! i bought an "Abu Garcia Seven Ambassadeur" i did research on google on how to use them and heard about Birdnest's >< and was abit thrown off of using it. Anyways, i took it to the beach today to try and i ended up with a birdsnest... ; ; i managed to fix it and kept being posetive about the whole thing same thing happened here and there with the birdsnests untill i got used to it =) i kinda understand why they happen, and how to prevent it. i would like some advice on a couple of things though, i was only on the beach to practice with it and i set up feathers with a 6oz weight on the end and it seemed i was not getting to great of a distance =( any feedback would be most kind, thank you all =)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi mate, Don't be downhearted as we have all been there in fact some of us won't touch a multiplier. I myself use them all the time. The secret is setting them up right. Fist thing to do is to attach the weight that you will be using (guessing 5 oz) to the line, then holding the rod at about 45 degrees let the weight drop with the reel in free spool, don't try to slow it down at this stage. If there is any overrun tighten up the braking system until no overrun occurs.

Now your well on your way.

Try casting on a field or beach without the need to hit the horizon and as soon as the weight hits the ground or water, stop it dead with you thumb, for gods sake don't try to slow it down otherwise you will end up with a nasty burnt thumb.

In time you will be able to fine tune your reel using the braking system so that you get just the beginning of an overrun. At this setting will be you max casting distance.

The Abu 7 although it is a very good reel it is what I would class as a light boat reel for up-tiding.

If you can get hold of a second hand Abu 7,000 then you will be well on your way.

There are plenty of other reels on the market that would suit you purpose but in the meantime practice with your 7 until you get the results you want as it will stand you in good stead.
Hope this helps
Cheers
keith big grin big grin

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:55 am Reply with quote Back to top

I am one of those who can't be bothered with multi's probably because I do so much night fishing and messing with with a multi in the dark is not my idea of fun when I just want to catch fish. I do have one but it is only used for boat fishing. I can and do cast over 100 yds with a wide spool FS reel and therefore see no serious advantage to using a multi although I do understand that the boys who do competition casting would not use anything else.

MrFeather

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, thank you very much for the answering my question's i'll give that ago and see how i get on =)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:51 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just a quick note for future purchases, don't buy a multi with a metal spool as these are primary designed for boat fishing and not casting.
Cheers
keith big grin big grin

Phillb
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

hi, im fairly new to seafishing myself only been doing it for just over a year. I'm still using fixed spool reals and often thought I should be using multipliers, but felt intimidated to give it a try because of the birds nest factor. for me ill probably give them a go once I feel comfortable with my casting technique.
welcome to the forum mr feather, don't worry about asking questions the guys here have a great amount of knowledge and are always helpful.

good luck with your fishing

phil

MrFeather

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

hey again just been on the phone with my local tackle shop where i bought the multiplier from and told him about what peoples opinions are on the reel about it being a boat reel, he asked what kind of fishing im doing which i probably faild to mention on here, which is mixed ground fishing, he said the multiplier i have is ideal for the type of fishing i do, which i said is mixed ground. anyways he said i can bring it back if i wish to exchange for a diffrent one so opinions are open to the forums, thank you =)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Abu 7,000
Abu 7,500
Okuma magnetix
Diawa Millionaire (several versions available)
Penn beach casting reels.

Ask him if he has any of the above secondhand in good condition as some of these reels are quite pricey new.

Seems like a good tackle shop to deal with if he offers you an exchange like that as most a grumpy gits. lol
Cheers
keith

MrFeather

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

http://www.poingdestres.co.uk/7281/Abu-Garcia-Ambassadeur-7500i-CS-Elite-HS-Multiplier.html [/url] <<<< is this one of the multiplers you mentioned? i doubt he will have secondhand gear in to be honest, but i can afford whats thrown my way big grin

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Not familiar with the model due to the i at the end of model number and am unable to see the braking system on the pic.

Cheers
keith big grin big grin

MrFeather

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

LOL no problem, ive spoke to my shop again and im starting to feel like a pain in the ass on here as well as the shop ; ; lol, when talking to them i told them the reels you recommended and they said they are good but the one i have is perfect for what im doing and for the price it is at. multipliers like magnetix range have to be shipped out if faults occur as they do not have manufacturers in the UK. i mean if they were trying to be greedy they would of told me to bring that reel back in to give them more cash for a more expensive one i suppose, i'm going to stick to the Multiplier i have as i am new to the whole thing anyways he told me to pop down Monday and hes going to show me what its all about and stuff so all is good big grin

thank you all for your time and knowledge, very much obliged.

MrFeather winking

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Your welcome mate, don't worry about asking questions, thats what this forum is all about.

There's no such thing as a silly question when your learning, but sometimes we might give silly answers lol devil devil devil
Cheers
keith big grin big grin

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A very big price to pay for a novice in my humble opinion but chaqu'un a son gout I suppose.

View next topic
View previous topic