whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
shorty
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

first i have to say a BIG THANK YOU to john at tacklesmart for the use of his shop ,cheers john
i have been lure fishing for about 10 years so i have some experience and what you read hear is just my humble opinion feel free to add reply or advice,
TACKLE, rod is 8-11 ft in length with a medium to stiff action,
a fast retrieve reel loaded with 30lb braid [personal choice],
lures where do i begin the choice is HUGE ive put a tiny collection together in the pics below including some of my own,
rucksack , good quailty rock boots,chest or thigh waders forceps or pliers spare spools of line and a few spare connecters [for quick lure change,i never tie a lure on i use gemini quick links ]
casting , i use the "clock" method [pic no 2 ] i start at "12" and cast round to "6" as this covers as much ground as possible and then move up or down the coast line ,keep moving the fish dont stay in one place so why should you . like i said the choice of lures is huge and so is the range of rods ,pick one that is not only light but strong enough for the ground that you will be working ,i e the bass love rough ground and pollack like kelp beds and venture out to the hunt amongst the rocks just like the bass ,i have often caught a pollack while bass fishing ,i hope this is of some help to you and you cant beat the sight a lure that you have been working on the surface being hit by a bass or pollack any questions give me a shout and ill do my best to answer them for you,now heres the pics.

GaryBadd
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

great post john with good info .

cheers for taking time out to sharing that with us.
Gary

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good post mate and you are dead right about the rod. Personally I use an Abu uptider 9' 6" rated up to 8 ozs. That may sound a bit OTT but at least I know it won't bust easily and can also be used on the boat when I want. I agree that the reel has to be fast retrieve which means fixed spool job with 4.5 ratio or better - don't even think of using a multiplier. Oddly enough I have had more success with rubber shads and eels rather than jointed Rapalas and the like, so experiment is the name of the game and take two or three different lures when you go. If anyone wants to know, I set up the eels/shads on a snood about 40-50 cms long with a one ounce drilled bullet in front to give some casting weight; of course this arrangement tends to sink so don't try it if you know there are snags in the water.

leontrotsky
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Sweet jesus- 13.99 for a lure- even rapalas and maria chase dont cost that much- are those ones shown sh1t hot then?

shorty
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote Back to top

13.99 for a lure is cheap they normally sell for 15+ ,unfortunately mrix has deleted some of the pics something to do with advertising etc shame cos i wasnt try to plug my mates shop [pardon the pun] just say thanks to the bloke for letting me take the pics ,sorry mrix big grin

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Im on a very tight budget,would using my stiff 12ft beachcaster be any good for using lures.i already have a 4.6:1 f/s reel loaded with 30lb mono.and we have a cheap shop here that sells fladen lures here a quid a piece

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

andy1_i wrote:
Im on a very tight budget,would using my stiff 12ft beachcaster be any good for using lures.i already have a 4.6:1 f/s reel loaded with 30lb mono.and we have a cheap shop here that sells fladen lures here a quid a piece

Go for it mate, the fish don't care what rod you are using. Mind you 30lb line is a bit much. If you can afford it change to 15lb or even 12, it will enable you to cast better and further. Not really lure fishing weather at the moment though - start having a bash in April on a nice day.

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers eccles,yeah i wasnt thinking about trying til may anyhow,maybe i will use my okuma ut50 baitcaster reel ? Thats loaded with 15lb main line,there is a lovely little rocky bay near me that i was going to bass float with a 5hooks feather rig or similar come mid spring.ness point in lowestoft

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

andy1_i wrote:
maybe i will use my okuma ut50 baitcaster reel ? Thats loaded with 15lb main line,

I am not familiar with this reel, don't think it would hold enough line for my liking but should be OK for spinning. If it's not rated for salt water, it may not last too long.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 9:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Great post John, the only thing I would add is that when I went Salmon fishing my mate at the tackle shop put an 18inch length of line with a swivel on it then attached this to the main line so as to avoid line twist in the reel. Would this be the same for sea fishing?. Cheers keith big grin

hagwag

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

eccles wrote:
Personally I use an Abu uptider 9' 6" rated up to 8 ozs. That may sound a bit OTT but at least I know it won't bust easily and can also be used on the boat when I want.

Like the sound of this.

Surely fixed spool reel won't work though? Or as uber casting distance isn't really that important are they OK?

shorty
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

the choice of lures is huge so choose wisely
my own lure box which allows me to roam the rock marks freely
two of my fav jointed lures

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 7:09 am Reply with quote Back to top

hagwag wrote:
eccles wrote:
Personally I use an Abu uptider 9' 6" rated up to 8 ozs. That may sound a bit OTT but at least I know it won't bust easily and can also be used on the boat when I want.

Like the sound of this.

Surely fixed spool reel won't work though? Or as uber casting distance isn't really that important are they OK?

Most folk I know cast between 40 and 70 yds when spinning usually into deepish water in harbours,estuaries and rocky gullies. You need the fast retrieve that an eggbeater gives and which enables one to cast over and over in the same spot. Messing about with a multi in such situations is just too much like hard work.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote Back to top

Most lures being of balsa construction are quite light, how would casting distance be achieved? Sorry if this seems a basic question. Cheers keith big grin

shorty
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

sorry kieth balsa wood has not been used for some time now,its mostly high strenght plastics which are weighted for easier casting and there for greater distance, its rare to find lures/plugs made out of balsa wood as they dont lasy very long and do eventually split no matter how good the construction big grin

View next topic
View previous topic