whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
Esskie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there,
I wondered if anyone has used any of the Berkley Gulp artificial baits at all or has any experience of them in use?

Unfotunately, most of the peeler crab I see are bought ones & it soon mounts up if buying a load of bait for a weekends fishing, harbour rag and/or lugworm are much easier for me to gather but peelers remain elusive to me confused

There are Gulp peeler crabs which resemble the peeler at molting stage, 100% bio-degradable, they are supposed to give off a strong scent as a real bait would do??
If they are worth trying perhaps a cocktail with real rag/lug and a slice of mackerel or squid to top it off?, at least all the scent trail won't be artificial if you know what I mean?

I'd love to know more about these if possible and would be grateful for any info at all

Thanks in advance,
Regards, Andy

dontcatchmuch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi andy theres a lot of posts on the site about gulp baits and various thought on them ,i tried then when i first got into sea fishing for a fair amount of time results not a single bite so in my opinioun dont waste your money on them buy fresh real bait even if it,s a bit dearer
i think you will find that most people will sway the same if used as a static bait
steve
ps there there to catch the fishermen and not the fish

Esskie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there Steve,
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated mate happy

I must admit to having had reservations about the "strong scent trail" they are advertised as giving off raised eyebrow , as you have just confirmed. I don't mind paying for peeler providing it's decent and fresh.

I'm sure I have link for a source of both live & frozen peeler?, if not I should find a good source of pref live, certainly wouldn't be a bad idea methinks?

So do they contain any organic material do you know Steve or 100% artificial?

lug, rag, mussel, squid and razorfish are all easy for me to come by but peeler is just so hard to find worried

Quote:
ps there there to catch the fishermen and not the fish
big grin I hear that mate!, there are a lot of odds & ends, lures included that fit that category huh!

dontcatchmuch

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 8:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi esskie
not relly sure whats in them just think there crap as to the peelers get them down the rocks etc at my caravan just a pitty im disabled and cant walk through the rocks to collect them
steve

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Don't understand why tackel shops still stock berkley gulp as most folk know its a right load of rubbish.
They are 100% artificial and the only possibility of it working is maybe off a boat.
Cheers
keith big grin big grin

Last edited by rabbi2 on Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total 
Esskie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:24 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers for the nfo lads,
Tbh I don't think it'd have found it's way on to my hook, it strikes me as one of those products they'd lap up in the US (no disrespect to any Americans!)?

maybe they should stick to making line etc sad

strathy
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Gulp does work over here as long as its treated as a lure and worked on spinning tackle as its designed to be.
The peeler is good for bass and pollock, when freelined into rocky kelp jungles.Treat it like shads or plastic eels. Though I must admit the real deal is better, but I always have a pack with me when out plugging.

Esskie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for that strathy,

Can I ask, out of curiosity really, how long it remains solid enough to withstand casting with?

it breaks up the longer it's been in the water is that right?

strathy
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I,ve only used it on 4 sessions, but caught on 3 of them when I,d given up on plugs, shads and eels.
The only session when I didn,t catch with it, I used it for about an hour then put it back in the pack and used it the next day. I must admit that it just disintigrated in the first fishes (bass) mouth the next day.
Another time I hooked and landed 4 pollock in succession before it started to lose bits of it, but you,d struggle to get 2 if you were using real peeler.
Its a useful back up bait for pollock, wrasse and bass in the kelp jungles on spinning gear but I wouldn,t bother with it for general beachfishing as real peeler will always be better as a static bait.
I just cast it out, let it sink into the kelp then just use short upward jerks of the rod tip to retrieve it. letting it sink back down for 3-5 seconds between jerks. I use 4/0 jig hooks hooked through sideways through the top of the bait so it fishes in a weedless way. Use couple of ssg split shot if there,s much tidal flow to help make it sink.

View next topic
View previous topic