whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
Esskie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there,
I find myself using a pulley rig a fair bit in both pennel and various sized single hooked versions and would like to try tying my own Double Pulley but the only diagram I have is crap

See here:

From the above pic it seems like another swivel & hook length have been added where the lead link normaly is with the lead appearing to be running free between the two green beads at the bottom??

I'd really appreciate any clearer advice on how to tie this rig, lengths, placements of components etc,?

Best Regards, Andy

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Andy
I dont really know what they are trying to achieve with this rig? IMHO the pulley rig is meant to draw the lead up above any fish that is hooked and so lessen the chances of snagging in rough ground. The design you have illustrated doesnt do that.
If you want to present two seperate baits, pulley style why don't you make yourself some 'Wishbone Pulleys'. Sorry I dont have any diagrams but make a standard pully rig but on the hook side tie on another swivel say three quarters of the way down, then slide a hooklength through that and add on whatever combination of beads and hooks you want to.
I have only ever seen one in a Veals catalouge. It was manufactured by Greys.
Personally I think adding anything to a basic pulley rig defeats the object of them. I did experiment for a time with using a three-way swivel for the middle swivel and tied a second hook to that. It works well and I would sometimes use it as a 'livebait rig' by which I mean when fishing for bass I would put a large bait(squid or a bunch of sandeels) on the bottom pennel hooks, then a single worm on the extra hook off the 3-way swivel. The idea being is that a small pollack, pouting or whiting would take the top hook then the big bass would take it. I find the top hook is often taken by flounder or schoolies.
Just drawn this up hope it helps
[img]Image[/img]

andy1_i
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote Back to top

thats some serious artwork baitdigger,it should be in the national gallery big grin .
not really,just a thought on that drawing,i reckon it would be possible to have the lot clipped down aswell,with the addition of a bait clip above the pennell hook (probably one of those sliding clips,the paperclip type) then clip the rest as standard,hmmm food for thought.could be a good cod rig,bottom hooks 3/0-4/0 (big bait) and that top one 1 or 1/0 (small bait)for live baiting or differing combos,plus baits be altered,a la wishbone

Esskie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2010 10:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Personally I think adding anything to a basic pulley rig defeats the object of them.

My sentiments exactly baitdigger!,
One of my favourite rigs for around my area as most of the marks are snaggy, at this time of year especially until the first few storms clear the summer weed & kelp anyway.

As you say, the pulley rig lifts the lead up above anything likely to snag it, hopefully there are no hook snags as it'll be in a cod's mouth! big grin

Thanks so much for taking the time to illustrate everything so clearly too!, the extra hook snood would seem to be the closest to the crap diagram I have?
Unless it's blue snow at the time & both hooks come in with fish on them, there isn't anything to stop the trailing second hook getting snagged, defeating the purpose of the pulley all together worried

Me wanting to make it was purely out of interest, I just like making rigs......that said, usually rigs that are useful and I can use of course winking

The ability to clip all hooks down as mentioned by yourself Andy is one I think is an important factor in a casting rig I feel, personally anyway?.
You mention having experimented with a 3-way swivel with a smaller hook above it, maybe Andy can clarify this but I'm sure that style (big bait on the bottom & small lure or live bait above) is used with some degree of success?

I'm off out later tonight so I might just make up a couple of snoods to try on a pulley with a smelly but also visual bait on the top?.

Normally, for a regular pulley, I'll use maybe not quite 3ft/80-90mm for the longest piece and just under that for the other piece, shorter lengths for rougher and/or snaggy ground though.
What approx length did you find worked well for the 2nd hook off the 3-way swivel baitdigger please mate if you don't mind me asking?

Cheers, Andy

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I should have labeled the leads, unless I am fishing a rotten bottom I tie all my rigs for use with impact leads with built in baitclips. Only the extra snood is flapping and I tie that between six and nine inches long so it is'nt a problem.

Esskie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ah I see,
so at 6-9" it's not going to need clipped really is it?, do you use rig-tubing or anything to ensure the snood stands out at all?

Can I ask what distance you'd put between the 3-way swivel and the pennel mate if you don't mind me asking or is it the same as regular pulley rigs with shorter for snaggy ground & longer for cleaner ground yes?

I know changing from my usual single hook pulley to a 2hk clip-down with top snood longer than the other seemed to work when the pulley hadn't had as much as a nibble for me the night before last......the pulley did have an Aberdeen pattern 3/0 on it while the 2hk rig had a 2/0 on the bottom snood and a 1/0 on the top so that could have had a lot to do with it?.
Didn't seem to even be getting crabs & shrimps nicking the bait on the 3/0 though, possibly just coincidence confused

baitdigger
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

I only used it for bass and here they are mainly caught on clean storm beaches where I live. If I fish the rocks for them it's lure only.
My bass pulleys would be between 2'6" and 3' long. If I am using flourocarbon as a hooklength I tend to keep them quite short as it tangles easily in big surf.
The pulleys I make for rays could be anything up to five feet long on a calm day

View next topic
View previous topic