whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
fisher_callum
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi all last week i bought a Gemini discorger and i must say its one of those things that is a must have for your tackle box i used mine for the first time on monday on ramsgate harbour arm when whiiting where swallowing the hooks deep and i was able to remove the hook with minimal damage to the fish.

i was thinking of maybe having this made to a sticky so people can add what they think is a must have for your tackle box and create the WORLDS GREATEAST ONLINE TACKLE BOX hehe big grin

cheers

fisher_callum

dontcatchmuch

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

yep i got one a great bit of kit
steve

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:40 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Callum,
Yep, I've got one, have watched the instruction video on the internet and, if I ever actually catch a fish, I might get to see how well the Gemini actually works!!!
Cheers, Geoff

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:43 am Reply with quote Back to top

I can't see how you were unhooking them with "minimal damage" if they were getting hooked deep. Disgorgers/T bars only work when you can create the proper angle (pull the snood downward, inverting the hook so the fishes weight is on the barb). You can't get the angle right if the hook is inside it's mouth..it's just not possible confused

I use my T bar on most fish to not only save time but save me touching them(i'm not squirmish, just saves needlessly damaging/killing the fish with your warm hands)..also keeps your hands out of harms reach if your catch happens to have teeth. By the way...any T-bar/disgorger does the same job(not sure about those freshwater ones)..if anything i'd prefer a stainless T bar..the gemini ones look a bit flimsy for use on bigger fish

conga
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

celticcatch wrote:
I can't see how you were unhooking them with "minimal damage" if they were getting hooked deep. Disgorgers/T bars only work when you can create the proper angle (pull the snood downward, inverting the hook so the fishes weight is on the barb). You can't get the angle right if the hook is inside it's mouth..it's just not possible confused

I use my T bar on most fish to not only save time but save me touching them(i'm not squirmish, just saves needlessly damaging/killing the fish with your warm hands)..also keeps your hands out of harms reach if your catch happens to have teeth. By the way...any T-bar/disgorger does the same job(not sure about those freshwater ones)..if anything i'd prefer a stainless T bar..the gemini ones look a bit flimsy for use on bigger fish
Freshwater fish are normally easier to unhook in my experience due to the majority of good fisheries only allowing barbless hooks to be used-even if its deep its quick and easy to remove with the right disgorger,
Mick happy happy

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

[/quote]Freshwater fish are normally easier to unhook [/quote]

We are on a sea fishing forum though...?

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Although this is a sea fishing forum we do from time to time discuse some of the aspects of course fishing especially when the subject being discussed can apply to either. Lets not get carried away into thinking that ours is the only way forward. What works for one may not work for another, even so tolerance is the name of the game.
Rabbi2

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 2:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

rabbi2 wrote:
Although this is a sea fishing forum we do from time to time discuse some of the aspects of course fishing especially when the subject being discussed can apply to either. Lets not get carried away into thinking that ours is the only way forward. What works for one may not work for another, even so tolerance is the name of the game.
Rabbi2

Well said Keith winking

conga
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

celticcatch wrote:
Freshwater fish are normally easier to unhook [/quote]

We are on a sea fishing forum though...?[/quote]The "barrell" type disgorger used for many years by freshwater anglers is available in bigger sizes now which are suitable for unhooking sea fish.Used correctly even deep hooking is easily removed without using the fishes own weight,with minimum handling time and minimal damage to the catch-give one a go,you may be pleasantly surprised at the results.......... happy happy Mick

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

If you read my post..properly. You'll see I what I was saying was, you can't unhook a deep hooked fish with a gemini disgorger because it's basically a glorified T bar, and i'm sorry to say.. they don't unhook deep hooked fish easily. Basic rule..if the hook is inside it's mouth...then (refer to my other post) they don't work.
Trust me..i've used it enough times to know.

You can however use it easier on barbless hooks by using it as a 'push bar'..pushing the hook further into it's mouth so it frees, and then safely bring it out, trying not to hook it again.(But who used barbless..I know I don't. Although ...I do choose hooks with microbarbs, and on my big o'shaughnessy 8/0s I crush the barb but only to help penetration)

Similar way to how a fresh water or 'barrell' type works i'm assuming..it's been nearly twenty years since I last saw a freshwater type used. How long would a plastic one last for? Being used once or twice a week..being banged around on the rocks, dealing with fish that could mince your fingers...i'm not sure, but not as long as a stainless steel on that's for sure.

Maybe people want to ask them selves how they are getting so many deep hooked fish...not watching your rod? Hooks too small? Bait presentation poor?

Not having a go, i'm just saying.. gemini do some good products. This isn't one of them

conga
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

No offence taken mate,you are correct about the barrel type "pushing" the hook to free the barb,the main thing with them is that you have to match the inner diameter of the "barrel" bit on the end to go over your hook eye or whipping for it to work properly.As for how long they last,they are made of a quite durable plastic and are not expensive to buy anyway.If you wanted a stainless one they are quite easy to fabricate out of a bit of suitable sized tubing with basic tools.I think this would be a better option for the bigger hook sizes.Hope this is of some help,cheers,Mick happy happy

Beretta28g

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi

I tend to always have a disgorger, i use aliuminum; however i fid that a decent pair of forceps are usefull too.

I have had a lot of Dabs deep hooked, and if the fish is of a size to keep i will always kill them before removing the hook, just a bit kinder i think.

Also worth noting is untill recently i have been using some old rods with very poor bite detection.

View next topic
View previous topic