whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

Probably a daft question, but does anybody know why I couldn't use circle hooks to make up a pennel pulley rig for cod fishing from the shore (i.e. with 4/0 or 6/0 hooks)? The reason I ask is that I have not seen any such ready-made rigs for sale. I am fed up of trying to remove swallowed hooks from whiting, and think life would be a lot easier for me (and particularly the fish!) if I could use circle hooks.

Cheers, Geoff big grin big grin big grin

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well I use semi-circle hooks when there are whiting around which helps a bit but they are greedy sods so I still get the same problem as you. I reckon the best ploy is to strike and haul them in as soon as you get a tap so they don't get much chance to take it down. Get far less trouble with bass but I suspect that this is because bass tend to make a sideways grab and immediately try to swim off, thus they often get hooked in the corner of the mouth.

dontcatchmuch

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:17 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi geoff i have never seen one for sale but if you can use circle hooks on there own i cant see no reason why they cant be used in two,s on a pannel rig .and you might find it works well for you. so just try it mate .cos after all most of fishing is about trial and era in the long run big grin big grin if it dose work well make me some big grin big grin big grin
steve

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Steve, I just found it a bit strange that none seem to be available commercially.

I am hoping to go to Dungeness on Wednesday and will try the circle hooked pennel pulley rig - with frozen lugworm topped with king prawn - cutting edge stuff!!!

I feel really bad when a whiting swallows my conventional hook and I know that in getting the hook out I have probably consigned it to an almost certain death.

Cheers, Geoff big grin big grin big grin

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

In my (rather limited,although I have been using only them for the last few months) experience with circle hooks....whiting don't get on with them. I'm not sure what it is but i've still had one or two deep hooked so I stepped up to a 4/0 circle and have been having better results with lip hooks.
Another problem species seems to be turbot which snaffle the bait down, regardless of size and deep hook themselves. I've had 4-5lb bass on 1/0 circles hooked absolutley perfectly (I usually use 3/0 though and have had them as small as a pound) and not a single bass i've caught this year has been deep hooked.
I don't use pennels and prefer a single hook to save unhooking complications. Another point to make is that T bars/disgorgers are a bit harder to use than with traditional hooks. You'll find this out when you try, but I prefer to use one so I don't have to touch the whiting and kill them. If the hook is deep I cut the line and save causing any further damage by jiggling it about and tearing it from the fish to save myself a few pence on a hook or the effort or tying on a new one...

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:00 am Reply with quote Back to top

When i used to fish the river humber, my m8 used to use circle hooks to avoid flounder deep throating the hook. To my amazment it seemed to work as he was pulling them in. I have had a go with them on the south coast with mixed results winking

joliroger
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:07 am Reply with quote Back to top

Circle hooks are great and to be honest in this day and age the hooks should be barbless .........................................JOLI

dontcatchmuch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi joli thats a good point about barbless hooks ,i have only ever used barbless hooks for my pike fishing for over 20 years and to be honest proberly only ever had 2 to 3 fish lost due to the hook pulling out and even then not any of a great size .so i cant say why i dont use them for see fishing ,but im out on monday and im going to give it a go even if i only fold the barb in with a pair of pliers .the only real reson i can think of is people dont want to take the chance on loseing that fish of a lifetime or that big fish for the table
steve

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:20 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Another way of doing it is instead of using circle hooks, off set the hooks too and that can be usefull too winking

joliroger
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Steve, I do a lot of carp / coarse fishing lately after a lull of 30 years now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and as you know 'barbless' are a must, never had any trouble they are the way forward in my opinion and are so easy to remove.

Good luck for Monday.................................JOLI big grin

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

joliroger wrote:
Hi Steve, I do a lot of carp / coarse fishing lately after a lull of 30 years now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and as you know 'barbless' are a must, never had any trouble they are the way forward in my opinion and are so easy to remove.

Good luck for Monday.................................JOLI big grin

Great point, barbless hooks are the way forward. Especially in carp fishing.

dontcatchmuch

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

it,s funny you should say about offset hooks i always offset my pike hooks just give them a slight bend with pliers
steve

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

flattiefanatic wrote:
Another way of doing it is instead of using circle hooks, off set the hooks too and that can be usefull too winking

The circles I use(mustad,sakuma,owner) all have an offset. I'd suggest that until you have used and caught on circle hooks...please don't comment on how having an offset is comparable because it's really not.

If you want to stop flounders taking it down..pass a thick short piece of mono through the eye and tie the snood as usual. It'll look weird but the flounders mouth will be too small to go past the thick mono 'stopper' if that's what you want to call it. Using a small shank hook it can only take the bait and hook so far before being 'stopped' by the sideways tag.

Barbed/barbless is a diffrent topic..

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

celticcatch wrote:

The circles I use(mustad,sakuma,owner) all have an offset. I'd suggest that until you have used and caught on circle hooks...please don't comment on how having an offset is comparable because it's really not.

Was just a suggestion, i have used circle hooks and offset hooks. I dont seem to get a problem with deep hook whiting as they seem to lip hook with my offset hooks. The only problem i had was with the flounder, cheers for the tip winking

dontcatchmuch

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:06 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi celticcatch i would sugest you read the posts properly before telling people what they should and what they should not comment on as i think youll find that no one said circle hooks and offset hooks are the same but that offset hooks as do circle hooks seem to make unhooking easyer when a fish take the hook down a long way .so in that case we can compair them . good tip for the flounders .i use it when eel fishing but i use a 2inch stip of drinking straw fixed just above the eye of the hook
steve

View next topic
View previous topic