whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
sparkyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:47 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi All,

Having now fished braid on a Fixed spool for a god 5-6 hours, without a single problem, I'm now considering using braid on my multiplier.

I've been browsing through the forum and found a split on whether this is good or not. I guess like everything there are Pro's & Con's - I wonder if those with specific expereince can comment so I can make an informed decision.

I'm by now means a tournament caster, but I can sling a 6 Oz lead out a fair way. I'm quite happy with setting up my multiplier and (fingers crossed) have yet to have any nests etc

Thanks for your input

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good luck with putting braid on a multiplier for the beach. The major downside to this is the obvious cost factor, if you was to birds nest that multiplier then the braid will bed into the reel and its goodbye braid at wits' end - New! . My opinion is stick to mono for a multi off the beach. winking

fishingnuts95
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

personal opinion but i wouldn't, i tried it once for about 2 casts from the beach realised how bad it could end up so went back to a fix spool. i only use braid on a boat if im wrecking or fishing for bream. any other time, beach uptiding etc, i just use mono.
Hope this helps
fishingnuts95

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:02 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Braid tends to dig itself in under the proceeding line lay resulting in a jerky cast. The other thing is if you are using a plastic spool wound on tight it can crush the spool although I have yet to see this happen. It is quite common to see braid on a boat multiplier but a definite no no on a casting reel.
Cheers
keith big grin big grin

Last edited by rabbi2 on Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total 
sparkyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

OK.....3 NO's to start with.........interesting to hear of the braid digging in. I was thinking of using a heavier braid (say 40lb) which would have the same diameter as say a 15lb Mono to limit this digging in effect.......not sure now if my thinking is valid ?

....please keep them coming

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:43 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I use 80lb Ron Thompson braid and even this is thinner than 15lb line, then you have the problem of an overun which is a nightmare to sort out and once knotted then forget it. Braid does have it uses and give less tide resistance to mono giving you the oppertunity of using lighter weights.
Cheers
keith big grin big grin

sparkyman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

mmmm..........maybe I might experiment in the futureonce I'm 101% confident with my equipment & technique.

Points taken - appreciate your experiences.

dontcatchmuch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 8:29 am Reply with quote Back to top

hi sparkyman
i agree with most points that have already been said . but i do use braid on my multipliers when fishing from my local marks and piers that i fish . ill proberly jinx myself now big grin big grin big grin but i have never had a birds nest in the 18 months ive been using it .i must point out that the 2 or 3 local marks i use it at i dont cast more than 60 to 70 yards and only have 100 yards of braid on the reels . i use 60lb brakeing strain 0.40 diamiter stright though with no shock leader and the same from the piers as i dont realy cast from them . if i fish other marks that requier a further distance then i use a diferent set of reels with mono line on them .hope this is of help to you
cheers steve

maniacmark

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:32 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Mate
I have had 60lb braid on my 7000 abu since march, only one big birdy when the shock leader knot gave way. I have had 2 crack offs in very rough weather. I've not had any other trouble, normally managing 100-120yds with 4oz or 6oz.
Chinese braid is cheaper but delivery is 3-4 weeks.

Maniac.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:31 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Dont get me wrong there are pro's to having braid on your multiplier. Especially for rough ground or weed. But i wouldnt risk it as the cost to replace is to high for my liking winking

sparkyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the continued input folks - all good reading. I'm still getting back into the swing of things, trying now to work on my casting technique as I seem to have hit a brick wall as far as distance goes. Spent a few hours on the beach on Sunday - conditions looked ideal, nice surf up and breaking not to far offshore. I tried & tried to get my casts beyond the breakers, into the back of the swell but kept on lobbing into the face of the farthest waves. After a while, I decided to drop the baited rig and spent an hour "tuning" my new reel. Eventually Ended up with all 6 brake blocks off and was just managing to thumb down the excess line each cast.......a couple of very loose nests now & again right at the end of the cast, so I guess it was good I hadn't decided to load this new reel with braid. I think one brake block and maybe a touch less end float on the spool will have it at optimum for my current ability with a 6Oz.....sadly I was dissapointed at the lack of distance.......have to put it down to my technique at the moment, can't blame the reel (Calcutta 400) I should have switched to my other multiplier (6500 Record) so I could compare the two there and then - unfortunately I could see heavy rain on the horizon so packed up and got back to the car, just as the heavens opened for the rest of the day. I know I'm not loading the rod up anywhere near it's capability. I believe it's a good rod, it's as new (used once by previous owner) - a Firefly Ovation 410M 5-7Oz, quite stiff as I could feel the intial loading of the tip at the start of each cast, then it just seem to lock up and felt like I was swinging a broom handle through the air - the flex seems to stop abruptly...........I need technique to get more power into this blank.
Anyway, suffice to say that I'll need to improve & gain confidence before considering a switch to braid. I use it on the plugging outfit and it's been great, not a single problem, but I think I'll have trouble with it on a multiplier at the moment.
Casting DVD & maybe a book is what I need next......I've spotted a Phil Hyde Casting Part 2 and a Dave Docwra Surfacsting 2011 DVD, together with a Paul Kerry book........any other suggestions (apart from coaching !)
Many thanks all

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

You tube is your friend winking

strathy
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

I,ve been using braid for all my sea angling , both shore and boat for the last 3 years. Never a problemwith 15lb on Abu Revos with plugs, and Abu Record and Revo Toro with 30lb and 50lb, for shore and boat.
If you are based near Somerset, you would do yourself a big favour by contacting Phil Hyde, as he uses Abu Record multis with Braid for all his shore fishing. If I remember correctly he has recorded a witnessed 165m cast with baited rig with an abu record with levelwind and braid.
You can contact him on another site under the name of Philtherod, on worldseafishing.com

sparkyman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

...I know what you mean - I'm not aware of any tutors around here, maybe I should post in the South West forum ?

I'm generally a very quick learner, once I understand the principles behind things I find it easy to apply the logic and then progress quickly. I was hoping a book or a DVD would give me a good starting point to work with - I was also hoping something would "click" once I started trying a new technique (hope it's not my back !)

I watched a few Dave Docwra 2011 clips + others on you tube last night and think I've got the basics of the OTG, which I believe is the prelude to the pendulum. Think I may take a trip to the beach with just the rod, 2 reels and a few weights to see if I can find some "feel" for this technique.

I'll also post for a tutor to see who steps up

Thanks for your input

sparkyman

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:34 pm Reply with quote Back to top

...thanks for the pointers. I've contacted Vince and asked if 24/7 are able to assist with an hour or two of tutoring.

Appreciate your help RW - I'm keen to receive some "further education"......

....so I bought a 2nd hand book & a DVD off eBay too, just to kill some time.

View next topic
View previous topic