whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
BazC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi there, I'm looking to get back into sea fishing after a 30 odd year gap. I don't know if I'll stick with it so I want to spend the absolute minimum I can.

Currently I'm looking at a second hand Shakespeare Odessa 060, it's tatty but works and is very cheap.

However I've just noticed I can get a brand new Shakespeare Zeta 050 for just a few quid more.

So is the Zeta big enough for beach casting (maybe a bit of pier and boat fishing too) it holds 240m of 0.4mm mono.

Secondly would I be better off paying a bit more for the brand new reel than taking a risk on the used one?

I know this is the reel forum but I'm also considering a Masterline Debut D12 12ft beach rod - any dire warnings about that make/model? Again it's dirt cheap so I'm not taking much of a risk on it.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: There's also a Daiwa j7000x and a Silstar CX80, I haven't found any info on either. Any opinions on these two?

Last edited by BazC on Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total 
rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote Back to top

Not familiar with the reels mentioned but stay away from the Penn 850.

Reel wiz will be sure to advise you better as soon as he spots your post.
Cheers
keith big grin big grin

BazC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:20 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Keith!

BazC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the help! Maybe I'll get the Zeta then, it doesn't need to last (it's only£8 lol) just needs to work. Once I decide if I'm going to stick with sea fishing for a while I'll invest in some better gear.

What reels could you recommend without spending a fortune?

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:47 am Reply with quote Back to top

you dont say what your budget is but cheaper fixed spool reels are a false economy, they dont last for long so you end up replacing them and spending as much as you would have on a half decent one.

have a look at this combo,
http://www.mainwaringsfishing.co.uk/SHIMANO-NEXAVE-13FT-SURF-ROD-COMBO-1201.asp
i had the rod a while back and its very good, better than most rods you will get for a deal like this, it was £99 in most shops when i got it, and well worth it too.
the reel being shimano will be good altho ive not used it myself
the line (imo) is the best on the market bar none.

again, i dont know your budget but you could do a lot worse than get the above combo. they had it on offer a while back for £100 so if your willing to spend that kind of money then ring them and chance them at £100 plus and postage or get them to throw in a bit of shockleader and/or a few traces too big grin big grin

(edit)
just noticed you put up another post while i was typing my one saying you were looking at a reel for £8, this will more than likely be full of plastic cogs/gears and 3 or 4 macks on feathers a few times will rip it to shreds.
nothing worse than a reel pack up at the start of or half ways thru a session. personally id stay well clear. a half decent set up will last longer, give you more enjoyment and if you decide that sea fishing isnt for you, then youll be able to sell it on 2nd hand and still get a few bob for it.

BazC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:10 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your input Redmouse, that certainly looks like a nice setup but it's way beyond what I'm prepared to pay at the moment.

I don't really have a budget, I just want to get started as cheaply as possible, later I'll upgrade if I still have the enthusiasm.

You raise an interesting point though, if cheap modern gear is so badly made maybe I should look at really old tackle? In the '70s I fished with an dreadful Woolworth fixed spool and a Penn Sea Boy multiplier. Both were pretty awful reels but they were sturdy and reliable.

BazC

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

reel_wizard wrote:
... cheap gear was always badly made, thats why it was cheap.

Maybe, there was certainly plenty to dislike about those old reels but they weren't flimsy. I caught no end of mackerel with that old fixed spool and an equally cheap and nasty solid glass spinning rod and it never complained. If cheap modern reels really fall apart with the first decent fish then they clearly aren't as durable as that old woolies F/S!

I take your point though, I am looking out for bargain on ebay, the problem is knowing when you've found one when you don't know the gear. That Daiwa J7000x I mention in my first post for instance. I've no idea how good it is or how much it would have cost when new, I can't find any info on the net.

Never mind, I'll keep looking, maybe I'll find a bargain, thanks for your help!

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,

After a break of around 20 years I have recently returned to sea fishing. For heavy boat fishing I am still using my old Abu Pirker boat rod and Woolies Winfield International 50 reel and for beach casting I am still using my Abu Atlantic 484 rod and my little Abu 6500C silver multiplier reel, all circa 1973ish. I always looked after my equipment and they are as efficient today as they were all those years ago. Perhaps a lot heavier than modern gear, but they still catch fish. I have got some modern equipment (shimano multiplier reel, Rovex beachcaster and spinning rods and Jarvis Walker fixed spool reel) and yes, they are lighter and possibly smoother than my antique equipment, but I am not sure that they catch any more fish! And I do get a certain amount of satisfaction from using my old gear - but perhaps I'm just a silly old man. But don't write off old equipment, it can still perform.

Cheers, Geoff smug smug smug

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Reel Wizard.

I bought the rod from 'Charlton & Bagnell' in Morecambe, Lancashire (Peter Bagnall made a record cast with this rod in 1973). The reel was purchased from a tackle shop in Skanklin, Isle of Wight, whilst on holiday. I remember being worried about how much I had spent on them at the time (I had a wife and 3 young kids). The only complaint that I have is that the rod won't fit into its original rod bag any more - I think the material has shrunk and the butt section ring is too big to fit into its compartment. Otherwise the rod and reel are in as new condition.

It just shows the importance of looking after your equipment - I always clean and lubricate my gear as soon as I get home, regardless of how tired I am.

Cheers, Geoff

View next topic
View previous topic