whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
Metalmark
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, I live in Southampton area and am looking to buy my own boat at the moment but have no experiance at all in launching, handling etc. So would love the opportunity to tag along with anyone who has a boat and pick up some tips etc... will happily contribute to fuel costs etc. of course any fishing done would be an added bonus.

my email is: mark at metalmart dot org dot uk

Mark

whitbydiver
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

mark i would suggest that you sit a power boat course with ur local r.y.a training centre as if you go with other skippers you will pick up all their bad habits up also im not saying any members on this site are but there are so many clowns out there.
i would also say having ur own boat is not the dogs under carraige that everybody makes it out to be u need endless money to throw at them as they r just a money pit,they say if you hate someone buy them a boat or pigeons.
stick with charter boats as when u step ashore its their problem then.
dont wanna put u off ur dream but just making u aware of the pitfalls.
i wish u luck with whatever you decide.
lumpy swells.
whitby. happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

tomcat
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

whitbydiver wrote:
mark i would suggest that you sit a power boat course with ur local r.y.a training centre as if you go with other skippers you will pick up all their bad habits up also im not saying any members on this site are but there are so many clowns out there.
i would also say having ur own boat is not the dogs under carraige that everybody makes it out to be u need endless money to throw at them as they r just a money pit,they say if you hate someone buy them a boat or pigeons.
stick with charter boats as when u step ashore its their problem then.
dont wanna put u off ur dream but just making u aware of the pitfalls.
i wish u luck with whatever you decide.
lumpy swells.
whitby. happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy

I pretty much agree with the above, particularly the need for training. It's one of those sports, where, if you get somthing wrong once, you may pay with your own and crews lives. The ownership of a boat can be expensive. The boat is only the start of the cost. You can't afford to cut corners.
The enjoyment gained from ownership and experiencing a well planned and executed days fishing on your own boat is one of lifes great highs. Boating can be carried out on a budget, just quite a big budget.

Metalmark
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers guys for your advice, whitby, I am gonna do that RYA course as i am in the heart of yachting country here (right next to the i.o.w etc) so theres not a shortage of centres where i can do this...

I have an urge to get my own boat and as with most things i am looking for all advice first before i take the plunge (not literally lol) so welcome advice both postive and negative and appreciate honest feedback from all so keep it coming.

Thx again

Mark

tomcat
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

If you decide to take the plunge. Take a little time before leaping into making your purchase. If there are any local boat angling clubs, make a point of visiting and chatting to owners. Speak to as many as possible and make a mental note of the type (not make) of craft that seem most popular. Question them about boat suitablity for your area, not just their particular boat. A good question is, if money were no object, which boat would they wish to own and launch. Very often this is a different craft to the one they own, and develops an idea of the perfect vessel for your locality. Whatever craft you do choose, don't skimp on the trailer. A good roller cradle trailer will allow effortless, single handed launch and retreivale for many years as well as keeping your pride and joy in secure undamaged condition. One practical note, if you can get a suitable outfit totalling under 750kg including trailer, so much the better as this is the max' without requiring a braked trailer. Brakes and sea water is a route for permenant maintenance.

blahblahblah

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Mark, Went through the same as you 3 years ago wanting a boat and just going out when the fancy took me. I was so wrong.... Had a mooring and the boat got moved around alot and was getting damaged. Put it on the trailor and started to do it up a bit. Had to move it from my friends ended up in a boat yard and since then the engine has been stolen....

Its not all doom and gloom the times i had out on it were fun and if you can keep it secure it will give you alot of fun..

imagine dropping her in the water and heading off to greenlands buoy or somewhere. catching a few of those elusive fish which wont be caught from the shore. Going up the Test, Itchen or Hamble there is so much to see and it is so different from the water..

I hope this year to do some RYA courses as it would have benifited me in making severall decesions. Would you drive a car with no lessons ? have to say boating is quite dangerous but if you are competent you will keep safe. Now buying a boat is a whole new thread and everyone on here will have there own information. Start with a budget. How much can you really afford... New small boat and trailor from 10k better value second hand with probably a few more extras say 2k to 3k inc trailor.
any chance you coud get a mate or two to chip in spread the load a bit. once you have a boat your circle of friends will increase and in my experence they just want a fun day out and leave you with all the hard work and costs..

I should have spent more time looking and reading about boating but i have learned alot and wont be making the same mistakes again. Cant offer you a one line do this and it will be ok type of info but experience is the key.. is anyone on here prepared to give actuall costs for a years boating ?? i pay just over 400 to leave mine on a trailor in a boat yard. so theres a start anyone? i am sure you will get some quality advice on here as they are a friendly lot.. have fun

Regards

Paul

View next topic
View previous topic