whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
sparkyman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:33 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi All,

Searching for a "CONTINENTAL" style long rod for Fixed spool use, I wondering which one of the following is the best of the "value" bunch? The Shimano & Daiwa slightly more expensive than the Shakespeare & Penn I know, but all in the same relative price bracket.

General Consensus please - any comments through experience ? Anything else I should be considering ?

Shimano Vengeance 15' (VSF450BXH)
Daiwa Theory 16' (THV16F)
Shakespeare Salt Extreme Long 1504 Surf 15' (1207805)
Penn Powerstix Pro Surf 15'9" (PN1101.460)

Thanks

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a couple of 14ft Abu Hellbenders which I have been quite happy with for a couple of years now. They do a 15ft version too if you want. I originally bought them as I wanted a rod with more oomph than the Shakespeare Salt's I had used up until then but was not prepared to pay megabucks for Ziplex or Century. Last time I looked, Veals were doing the best price.

SeaTurtle
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

My mate bought a 15 ft Daiwa Sea Hunter the other day ......... seems a really good rod for the money.

Cheers,

Dave

sparkyman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:03 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,

..been a few weeks since last here

I found a "Used Once" Fox Horizon Extreme surf 16' which I failed to find much information or reviews on, I even contacted Fox, but all they could tell me was "Discontinued" - couldn't even advise why ? Anyway, the build quality seemed superb and the price was right, so I went ahead & purchased.

Although I've yet to actually fish with it, I took it down to the beach over the weekend and tried it out with a 4Oz lead - extremely impressed with the distance attainable for not much input with a basic overhead or OTG cast, but.....

...I need to develop my right arm as, after 3 casts, I was struggling to keep the rod up on the retrieve. The difference in length here seemed really apparent - can't say I've ever noticed such arm strain with any of my other rods/reels. I'm wondering now if the extra length of the butt & reel placement is now a lot more critical - one thought is bringing the reel farther down the grip will allow the rod butt to be placed in the groin during retrieves, rather than slung under your arm and pulled into your side......something I'll try next chance I get

....or maybe I was suffering & having a particularly "weak" moment that day ?

Anybody out there with experience of this particular Fox rod, it doesn't feel overly heavy, given the length - I'm wondering if it's just down to pure physics (force x distance) - having not used such a long rod ever before, do they all generally feel this way ?

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:28 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think you are the only guy who has had this kind of experience with such long rods sparky. I don't own one myself (see above) but tried one a few years ago and found it so unwieldy that I just gave up the idea completely. I understand that rabbi2 bought something similar a while back and sold it again within weeks for the same reason. He may well offer his comments in due course.

sparkyman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

....I wonder if this is also why previous owner had "used only once" big grin

Seriously though, I'm no Superman, but I'm no weed either and have never noticed such strain before, so encouraging to hear that this may just be the nature of the beast rather than age !

The ease of distance was very appealing though - I will stick at it for a while and try to get an actual session or two in.

Thanks for your input - feel a little better now !

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:12 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just spoted this thread. As Eccles said I had a Shakespere K2 16 ft 8in rod that was so hard to use both on casting and retrive that I offered it for sale. At that time I think it was 240 - 280 RRP. I was aking 150 thats how bad I found it. I eventually gave it as 1st prize at the Reels on Wheels charity Comp at Holyhead.
Cheers
keith big grin big grin

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:16 pm Reply with quote Back to top

rabbi2 wrote:
Just spoted this thread. As Eccles said I had a Shakespere K2 16 ft 8in rod that was so hard to use both on casting and retrive that I offered it for sale. At that time I think it was 240 - 280 RRP. I was aking 150 thats how bad I found it. I eventually gave it as 1st prize at the Reels on Wheels charity Comp at Holyhead.
Cheers
keith big grin big grin

That was a good prize to win then lol.

DAZ

conga
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:45 am Reply with quote Back to top

eccles wrote:
I don't think you are the only guy who has had this kind of experience with such long rods sparky. I don't own one myself (see above) but tried one a few years ago and found it so unwieldy that I just gave up the idea completely. I understand that rabbi2 bought something similar a while back and sold it again within weeks for the same reason. He may well offer his comments in due course.
You are not alone in this Sparky,I tried out a 16ft on a field and found it tiring to use for any length of time,someone with more body stength would probably be able to get the best out of it,so I will stick with my 14ft pair which I find more managable for my particular needs sad sad

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

is this the rod?
http://www.fishingmegastore.com/fox-extreme-horizon-surf-16ft5-rod~7823.html

RotundGent

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have a pair of 15 foot RonThompson XSymmetre rods that I got for 40 each from Marsh tackle before they closed and they are the best value for money rods I have ever owned!
If ever you find one for sale grab it quick - you will NOT be sorry!

sparkyman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all,

Thanks for the input - glad to see I'm not alone with fnding the long rod hard work.

Having thought about it though, it makes complete sense. It has little to do with the actual weight of the rod, but everything to do with your right arm (in my case) having to counteract the torque generated by towing a 4Oz lead, back through the water, from the end of a 16'5"" stick ! (A very quick calculation shows 36% more torque generated compared to a 12@6" rod under the same conditions)

Next time out with it, i'll try retrieving with the rod tip lower and pointing more directly at the incoming lead to see how much easier the retrieve may be. It could be a case of changing my style to suit the rod better.

Redmouse - Yes - your link to the Fox Horizon is the same rod. Beautiful colour,build & finish.....hoping I can get use to it though otherwise it may just have to go !

RotundGent - thanks for the info.....wife would never understand yet another rod !

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Just for a bit more info: My neighbour recently bought a 16 ft Greys Triplex and last weekend I had a chuck with it when we were both down the beach together. Now, I know I am old and skinny but I didn't really cast it significantly further than I can already achieve with my 14 ft Abu Hellbenders........

sparkyman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:01 pm Reply with quote Back to top

....I realised it was going to take a new type of approach to casting with this long rod - the casting speed was a whole lot slower and the timing seemed to be a lot more critical. The fixed spool I used had only ever been used with my favourite 11'6" rod previously - with the long rod it exposed line on the spool that had never seen the light of day this season.

I've now read of another (on this forum) who's broke 2x of these Horizon Surfs in the same place - maybe trying to inject too much power into the blank ? The Horizon sales blurb advises "it bridges the gap between UK beach casting & the finesse of the continental style ", or something to that effect........or maybe they had a design flaw which forced Horizon to withdraw them from manufacture/sale ?

It's a strange casting feeling that I've not experienced before, but I'm hopeful i'll find a suitable casting & retrieve style next year that will convince me to keep the rod.

View next topic
View previous topic