whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
cbnut

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi all.
I need new sea fishing line and am thinking of low memory line 18lb - 20lb.

Every time I go sea fishing, I unwind my existing line onto a spare spool (From a fixed spool reel) drop the spool into a bucket of water to take away any salt from it and wind it back onto the reel via a clean piece of cloth to dry it properly.
Eventually, the line has had enough and I get twists and tangled loops when casting. The line coils out in twists when slackened.
I have heard about Low Memory line. Has anyone used it and can recommend a good brand?
I googled low memory line and came up with: Hi-seas Grand Slam (American site) but is there a similar strong, abrasion resistant line available from a UK distributor. mono or nylon/polymer mix that has a low memory That you have tried and can recommend?
I am too clumsy to use braid. (Not that I get many bites to snap the line easily crying )
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks.
Roy.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:13 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It is not particularly advertised as "low memory" but I have used Okuma Ultramax for several years now and with a fixed spool reel. I have never had it "loop" in the rings whilst casting probably because it is quite floppy. It also seems to be quite abrasion resistant (local beaches are mostly covered in shingle and broken shell) so that I generally only replace it about once a year and I go fishing most weeks. Even more remarkable is the fact that it is relatively cheap - you should be able to get it for around 4 per spool which amounts to around 750 metres if you choose the 20lb BS which I use. If you accept my recommendation, I suggest you buy the hi-viz yellow variety which makes it far easier to see.

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'ved switched to the ultramax too and have found it pretty good so far, but frankly I doubt you will find any line that does not curl up after some use. Since line is always twisted onto a FS reel, and on top of that, spin of the lead and friction of the rings imparts more twist, especially to the last few metres of line, twist memory is a fact of FS fishing.

What I do now is cut off the leader periodically, strip off a few metres of the mainline and discard it. Any leftover twist can be smoothed out between your fingers when reeling back on. This removes the worst of it. After you've done this a few times you'll probably want to replace the whole line.

You can also buy a little gizmo that you tie to the line, cast out and retrieve, twisting the line in the opposite direction. Personally I'd rather not bother.

Finally, you could use a multiplier instead.

cbnut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Eccles and Iknowagoodplaice.
Good advice, I will look at Ultramax.
I used to use a Penn delmar and a Penn No.85 years ago (When I were a lad!) 1970's (ish) models. I still have the No.85.
After years away from sea fishing I decided to take it up again and ruined the 'delmar' by tying the new line on too tight - the plastic (bakerlite?)spool exploded.
Also remembering the numb fingers on a cold day and how I am all thumbs these last few years, I changed to fixed spools.
Multipliers are better with line but I find I can cope with fixed spool reals more easily now. I think I will take your good advice and buy ultramax and change the line regularly.
I will wish you both 'Tight lines' but only if you have stronger spools!
Thanks again. I appreciate your replies.
Roy. (cbnut)

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Every time I go sea fishing, I unwind my existing line onto a spare spool (From a fixed spool reel) drop the spool into a bucket of water to take away any salt from it and wind it back onto the reel via a clean piece of cloth to dry it properly.

why are you doing this?
when i get home i run my reel under a cold, fresh water tap for a few seconds. leave it to dry and put it into its bag ready for use the next time im out.
i dont understand why you would need to remove the line, wash it and put it back on again everythime you go fishing. maybe im just reading it wrong?

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 8:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Bakelite spools eh? Haven't seen anything like that in years. They are mostly alloy or graphite these days. Alloy is strong enough but I have a preference for graphite because it doesn't corrode in salt water conditions although I believe the top price alloy spools probably have a decent coating. My current fixed spools are Daiwa, mainly because I like the wider spools which I am convinced cast better.

cbnut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:36 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

why are you doing this?
when i get home i run my reel under a cold, fresh water tap for a few seconds. leave it to dry and put it into its bag ready for use the next time im out.
i dont understand why you would need to remove the line, wash it and put it back on again everythime you go fishing. maybe im just reading it wrong?

You read it correctly Eccles. Too fastidious I suppose, I worry about salt corrosion. I will do as you suggest now! I probably add to the twists by unwinding the line so much.

cbnut

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Redmouse. I apologize! I blame an old brain and small print!! I answered your post but eccles got in the way!!! I will replace the line regularly so your way of cleaning the line is best.

Eccles: Another reason I was reluctant to go back to multipliers was learning to use them again! I took the skin off of my thumb a few times in the good old days learning to use a multiplier. a line cut in cold weather is no joke either. Thumb burns also!
Nowadays I find a fixed spool sooooo much safer and easier.
I probably lose a few yards with the fixed spool but lose less skin too!

I have ordered the ultramax yellow!
Thanks for the advice my friends, you are stars!

Last edited by cbnut on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total 
eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it wasn't me, it was redmouse but I do agree with him. If you think about it, the more you undo and rewind your line the more it is likely to get twisted. Modern monofilament lines are not really subject to corrosion in salt water, abrasion is far more likely to cause deterioration. I take great care to remove any damaged line from the beach because it's long life can cause damage to wildlife.
There was a twit on here a couple of years ago who reckoned sunlight caused line to deteriorate but he had no proof and considering that the line is mostly several feet underwater a lot of the time that is pretty unlikely anyway. I have found that some of the quite expensive and "rated" lines are far too "springy" or stiff if you will and can give rise to the problems you have encountered which is why I was very glad when I discovered the Okuma line a few years ago.
I generally keep this line on my reels for around a year (and that is with me going fishing weekly on average) before replacing it. I give it no special treatment and suspect it would probably last longer but don't want to risk it. Also like you I just cannot be bothered with multis except for boat fishing.

cbnut

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:50 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Had I found the edit button quicker I could have edited my mistake instead of apologizing to redmouse, No worries though. I am happy to admit mistakes, I make so many I have to!
Redmouse, Eccles and Knowagoodplaice I thank you all.

smartie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A good tip is to take your leader off the main line at the end of a session, pull off 10 or so meters and wind it back on to the reel through tight fingers to take out the twists.
Also when putting new line on from a spool ensure it comes off the spool in the opposite direction to the rotor on the reel. Do not unwind from the new spool keep it end on to the reel.
This applies only to fixed spool reels.
Hope this is of some help.

View next topic
View previous topic