whiting

plaice

Home Sea Fishing Forums Account Downloads Links sea fishing rods sea fishing reels
sea fishing
   Welcome Guest | Register 

Sea Fishing Angling Resource

Sea Angling

Main Menu
General
Home
Members List
Your Account
Our Sponsors
Fishing Tackle Shops
Forums
Important Rules
General
South
South West
South East
East
West
North East
North West
Scotland
Wales
Ireland
Isle of Wight
Thames Estuary
Humber Estuary
Sea Fishing for the Disabled
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Baits
Terminal Tackle
Sea Fly Fishing
Kayak Fishing
Sea Fishing Tips
Boat Owners
Boat Fishing Tips
International
SeaFood Recipes
Freshwater Fishing
The Lounge
Buy - Sale
Resources
Sea Fish
NFSA Size Limits
Sea Fishing Knots
Sea Fishing Baits
Sea Fishing Rigs 1
Sea Fishing Rigs 2
Sea Fishing Rigs 3
UK Tide Tables
UK Weather
Fishing Tackle Reviews
Sea Fishing Tackle
Sea Fishing Books
Sea Fishing Reels
Sea Fishing Rods
Sea Fishing Lines
Sea Fishing Videos
Rod / Reel Deals
Ready Made Rigs
Fishing Links
Admin
Email Me

Fishing Gear

Fishing

Sea Fishing: Forums

sea fishing forum sea fishing members list
faq
search
user groups
pm
View next topic
View previous topic
Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:59 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, some advice if anyone can help me. I have tried doing a search on the forum without any luck.

I am an occasional beach and boat angler, 67 years old, with some fairly minor health issues. I returned to beach fishing after a break of 21 years and, mindful of the birdnests I spent hours untangling on my multiplier, have only used a fixed spool reel recently. I am now ready to try a multiplier again, especially that we now have magnetically braked reels. However, as a pensioner my pockets are not unlimited, so the Grays G-Mag reels seem attractive (price wise - around 60). Has anybody on the forum any experience of these reels?

The Grays G-Mag 6 appears it maybe better for beachcasting, but the Grays G-Mag 7 appears to be suitable for both beachcasting and boat uptiding. Does the 7 compromise on distance on the beach though? Both reels cost the same.

The fact that the spools can be changed easily and quickly also appeals, as (presumably) a birdnested spool could quickly be changed for another spool.
Most of my fishing would be from Dungeness beach.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Geoff big grin big grin big grin

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Why bother mate, I am a similar age to you and get on fine with FS reels, especially at night when one does not want to be messing about with birds nests. I do have a multi for my very occasional boat trips - a s/h Shimano TLD 15 which is fine and cost me nothing because it was a gift but I would never use it for the beach. If you really must have a multi why not look around for a s/h job for say 30.

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:38 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I have not long started using a multiplier only used it twice, like eccles said s/h 28 it cost me .Not got the hang as yet but getting there,very glad I took the s/h route winking

DAZ big grin

smallfry
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:48 pm Reply with quote Back to top

hi geoff
i brought the gmag six last year as like you felt like "changing up" i didnt want tyo pay the earth as i didn't know how i would cope with a multiplier after using a fixed spool, anyway i've used it a few times and only had 2 major birds nests, but i haven't found its given me any extra distance but that could be down to the fact i'm still getting to grips with it lol, but on the whole its a nice easy to use reel that is well made and quite solid.
tight lines ian big grin

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Eccles, Daz and Ian, thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately there has been a disaster in our house - our wc has broken - so the question of purchasing a new reel will have to be put on the back burner, at least until a new suite is installed. Sadly my wife has always had strange priorities!

But thanks for your advice, wise as always.

Yours pennilessly, Geoff crying crying crying

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Judgegeoff wrote:

Unfortunately there has been a disaster in our house - our wc has broken - so the question of purchasing a new reel will have to be put on the back burner, at least until a new suite is installed. Sadly my wife has always had strange priorities!

You had better save that scrap copper m8 lol devil

DAZ

edwin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

wannacatch1 wrote:
Judgegeoff wrote:

You had better save that scrap copper m8 lol >happy

DAZ

Bought the Mag 6 a couple of months back after returning to beachcasting after a long spell of just occassional beachfishing (Flyfanatic-Sea & Fresh) I paired it to a Penn Stix 16ft & recommend it, it's a beauty of a reel & having worked my way through many reels since I started fishing at the age of 5 (60 yrs ago)---Get the Kahzi sorted quick or buy the wife a bucket!!!

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote Back to top

You could always purchase a Gusunder, (Pee Pot, Jerry) and use the balance of what you save on the new reel. big grin big grin big grin devil devil devil devil
Cheers
keith big grin big grin

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Lol Keith.

Our lovely (but broken) avocado green suite has now been replaced with a white one, the room has been tiled and decorated and my wife is very happy!

I, on the other hand, am penniless and sad! So I have decided to stay with my Fixed Spool beach reels, at least for the forseeable future and revise the position when (if) my finances ever improve.

As we have discussed before, it is easy to get pulled in by the tackle advertisements (magazines and internet) and we sometimes need a dose of reality to be able to differentiate between 'want' and 'need'.

Tight lines,

Geoff sad sad sad

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hard cheese Geoff, yes one can get fooled all the time by ads for "wonderful" gear in magazines and websites. I also am retired and a few years ago I put me thinking head on and asked myself the question "What is it that I really want to do?" - 1. Show off on the beach and feel confident with all kinds of smart gear or 2. Just catch fish. I opted for 2. and it really changed my thinking about the sport because if you make the same choice as I made, you spend a lot more time on finding where the fish are likely to be and when rather than finding out about all kinds of expensive kit.
Just one example: Last year a local 14 year old catches a 6lb bass up the local harbour using bacon rind and a cheap rod & reel combo which his mum bought him for his birthday for 35!

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:14 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Very true Eccles, thanks, I always get good advice from this forum.

However, having returned to sea fishing after over 20 years, much of my gear is very old fashioned. I have treated myself to a carbon beachcaster and, compared with my old solid fibreglass rod, it is a dream - light, responsive and a pleasure to use.

Likewise, my new boat rod is much better than my old 'broomstick' rod (which would have boated a tuna without bending!). And this is important on a long session, especially the lightness of weight.

However, the difference between my old reels (fixed spool for beach and multiplier for boat) and modern reels does not appear to be so dramatic as with rods.

So, I will use my old reels with my new rods - and save myself some money.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well of course you were right to get a modern carbon rod. I initially got a cheap "composite" job when I returned to sea angling a few years ago but soon realised that pure carbon was the way to go even though more expensive. These days use a couple of Abu 14ft Hellbenders which I suppose are mid range price wise and see no reason to pay more (at the time they cost me around 123 each but a tad dearer now). I actually prefer 13ft but could not at the time find a tough enough one which came in three pieces (for ease of transport).
No matter, now I have developed a decent casting style I can heave a 5oz sinker around 100 yds or so when necessary.
If you do decide to get a new FS reel, make sure it has a reasonably wide spool as this aids casting distance in my experience and go for at least three ball bearings. I am sticking to FS reels personally because I do a lot of night fishing and can't be bothered with trying to sort out birds' nests in the dark - seen it happen to too many other folk and I just want to catch fish LOL.

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks Eccles,

My first sea fishing was from St. Annes-on-Sea pier using a hand line. My first rod was one my father made from a hollow metal ex. WW2 tank aerial! It was too delicate to cast a lead out, so that was thrown out by hand and the rod used to retrieve. Then I progressed to a wooden rod (built like a broomstick) and then a solid fibreglass rod. All of these were so different from modern carbon rods.

My first reel was also made by my father, out of bakelite and brass, and I remember buying my first multiplier, an American 'Penn', when they appeared on the market. Thereafter I then spent many a (happy?) hour unravelling the birds nests, assisted by my patient grandmother. Happy days.

To a layman, those early Penn multipliers didn't seem too far removed from modern ones, design wise. On the other hand, rods have changed immeasurably

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote Back to top

edwin wrote:
wannacatch1 wrote:
Judgegeoff wrote:

You had better save that scrap copper m8 lol >happy

DAZ

Bought the Mag 6 a couple of months back after returning to beachcasting after a long spell of just occassional beachfishing (Flyfanatic-Sea & Fresh) I paired it to a Penn Stix 16ft & recommend it, it's a beauty of a reel & having worked my way through many reels since I started fishing at the age of 5 (60 yrs ago)---Get the Kahzi sorted quick or buy the wife a bucket!!!

Welcome to the forum Edwin- Glad you got on well with the Mag 6- good multi for the price especially as they've come down since their initial release.

gag1951

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:07 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Hi To All.
Bought a GMag 7 last year and lost the instructional card during a house move. I looked all over the net without success and eventually tried the Greys website. There is NOTHING on these reels at all on their website. I then tried to contact them via 'email' and didnt even get the courtesy of a reply. Will be voting with the wallet the next time as far as Greys are concerned. Very poor service from them and I am not impressed.

View next topic
View previous topic