Which Zziplex ?

Please feel free to ask any questions related to improving your casting here,Pendulum Casting, Off the ground Casting, Competitions Casting.
westcork

Which Zziplex ?

Post by westcork » Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:45 pm

I am just returning to beach fishing after a break of 20 years ! (whilst the kids grew up).
Used to fish off the norfolk/suffolk coast in the winter for cod. Pendulum cast using a Zziplex Dream Machine and Mitchell 499 Fixed Spool. Left Hand caster 5'7" 11st. 10lb age 50 (fit).
Now living in West Cork and have started fishing near home (Bantry) for Thornback. Distance important both for catching fish and for my own enjoyment.
What would be the best Zziplex for me on the market and also the most suitable fixed spool for distance casting.
Any feedback appreciated and I look forward to reading more, particularly about my old haunts, Mundesley, Bacton, etc.

concrete

Re: Which Zziplex ?

Post by concrete » Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:46 pm

westcork wrote:I am just returning to beach fishing after a break of 20 years ! (whilst the kids grew up).
Used to fish off the norfolk/suffolk coast in the winter for cod. Pendulum cast using a Zziplex Dream Machine and Mitchell 499 Fixed Spool. Left Hand caster 5'7" 11st. 10lb age 50 (fit).
Now living in West Cork and have started fishing near home (Bantry) for Thornback. Distance important both for catching fish and for my own enjoyment.
What would be the best Zziplex for me on the market and also the most suitable fixed spool for distance casting.
Any feedback appreciated and I look forward to reading more, particularly about my old haunts, Mundesley, Bacton, etc.
If you've still got the dream machine use that. It's still a good rod.

I haven't used any of the latest Zippys, but I would expect any of them would do. I did have a 4500 HPM and that was a good rod.

I now use Century Carbon Metals and find these very user friendly and they have a fairly through action, so would be good with a fixed spool.

blakdog

Post by blakdog » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:49 am

Concrete's right, westcork - there has been so little advancement in rod technology in the last 20 years I would suggest that any rod built from that period, so long as it was from a good manufacturer, would be as good as the stuff produced today. Quite frankly, the last major steps forward, so far as I am concerned, were the introduction of Kevlar and low diameter blanks.......both of these are over 20 years old.

Most of the "new" rods are simply old rods repackaged anyway.....the manufacturers need to keep sales up - as Concrete says stick with what you've got, it'll still be every bit as effective as it was when you bought it....and a damn site better than a lot of the latest rods. If it ain't broke don't fix it.

ROCK-ROVER

Post by ROCK-ROVER » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:42 pm

im still usin my zziplex 2500 original in my opinion best rod ever made sadly me 2nd favourite rod ng1 had a bit of an accident caused by me kids tight-lines ROCK-ROVER p.s me shimino speedmaster is still goin strong after 20yrs just re-newed bearings

westcork

Post by westcork » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm glad to say that I still have the 'dream machine'. Which of the new models is worth considering as I am looking for another Zziplex. What is the best fixed spool on the market for casting ?

Bread

Post by Bread » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:23 pm

westcork

Post by westcork » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:38 am

How do the Century rods compare to the Zziplex. Which would be the most suitable Century for my fishing requirements. Any advise greatly appreciated as I am trying to catch up on 20 years in the wilderness !

ROCK-ROVER

Post by ROCK-ROVER » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:21 pm

CARNT HELP U WITH THAT 1 CORKY ONLY OWN ZZIPIES AND 1 CONO-FLEX TIGHT-LINES ROCK-ROVER

wotnofish
Regular
Regular

Post by wotnofish » Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Can't afford a Zziplex but IMO you can't beat Shimano FS reels.

concrete

Post by concrete » Sun Sep 02, 2007 7:40 am

westcork wrote:How do the Century rods compare to the Zziplex. Which would be the most suitable Century for my fishing requirements. Any advise greatly appreciated as I am trying to catch up on 20 years in the wilderness !
I think that Century rods are every bit as good as Zziplex as far as the quality and toughness of the blanks goes, it's just that they have different actions.

The Century rods tend to be through actioned and the Zippys are tippy.

I like the tip actioned rods for their sensitivity, but for extreme range casting I prefer my Carbon Metals as thay have a slightly stiffer tip which picks up the lead nicely during the cast. They are also surprisingly sensitive as the stiff tip doesn't collapse in a strong tide run.

Fortunately I have been fishing long enough to know what I want from a rod and take the same approach to buying them as I do with vehicles. They have to do a specific job well, regardless of who makes them.

I have rods made by Daiwa, Conoflex, Zziplex, ABU, AFAW to name but a few.

Don't get hung up with "badge loyalty". If you can get your hands on a few different rods to try then do this before committing yourself.

If you are hell bent on buying a Zippy, you will at least be getting a rod that is unlikely to break and will give you years of service without it's action altering to any noticable degree. Also it will always have a reasonable re-sale value should you decide to sell it.

zzippy247

Post by zzippy247 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:03 am

If you are looking for a Century/Zzippy for ray fishing it will need a bit of backbone......try the Kompressor sport...I keep mine for ray/conger/hussing, although it does come out in the rough when I need to punch a big weight/bait into the wind..I used to have a Kompressor grand prix but it was way to much for me to handle

As for zziplex's..... the two that I use are an old 2500M and I've just got a new HSM... Im not sure whether these would suit your requirements. as they are more long range match type rods....I have no doubts that thoa you could land ray with them but if you have a lot of rough ground ray territory (like us) then perhaps something a bit heavier would be better???

A lot of our local top rods use conoflex nemesis in one of its guises for their rough gound fishing so they might also be worth a look.....

Chris