Most popular Reels for casting on the circuit

Please feel free to ask any questions related to improving your casting here,Pendulum Casting, Off the ground Casting, Competitions Casting.
joebass

Most popular Reels for casting on the circuit

Post by joebass » Tue Nov 15, 2005 10:22 pm

I wonder if you guys into field casting can tell me which is the most popular reel on circuit, the mag elite's or the penns, have started an argument on another forum, but most of them are fisherman.

tj
Casting Coach
Casting Coach

Post by tj » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:45 pm

hi joe,
well here we go i will try to give you the run down on what reels are being used at the moment on the casting fields of the uk.

i only know of one person who is at the top who uses a penn 525 tournamag. that is a chap called daryl jenkins.

nearly all casters are using abu's. in fact i would say that 99.9% are using abu. these are as follows:-

abu ultramag 2 and 3.

abu mag 2 and 3,

abu 6500, afew mag elite

abu 5500, a few mag elite

there are a few 6600w's and 6600 black max's cropping up.

there are also the odd daiwa 7ht's being used.

joebass

Post by joebass » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:57 pm

Thanks TJ,

I got the 6500 mag-elites (ct), love them, just one thing though, is they don't hold much line, I'm easly getting between 150 to 175 (fair guess) on the beach, and you basically in the bottom half of your spool. If you do get a crack off, you basically got to redo your line.

I snapped up a bargain yesterday, got one of the ct's for £20, and this thing is like brand new, got it at a cash convertor, so have organised another Diawa 133 for it, as the compressor is too stiff for bite detection (fishing), even a tope you wouldn't notice the bite!!!!!!!

I really enjoy the compressor, but find that with 125gms it's not that easy to compress it, 175gms and the rod compresses me, but with 150gms it's perfect, provided I don't be a cowboy and bring the power in too early.

Also one other thing I'm trying to sort out, is when I turn after my inswing, and bring the rod tip down, is my weight whacks the ground, I must say though that I have been having more fun in the field than fishing with it, and am looking forward to a comp.

Please pm me any of the forthcoming dates, and I will give it a go, as I'm sure it wont be much longer, and I will be on the 200 mark.

tj
Casting Coach
Casting Coach

Post by tj » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:04 pm

joe,
where you say you are hitting the ground with your lead, this sounds to me that you are waiting too long before you start to turn into the cast. what is happening is that the lead has reached the top of the back swing and is starting to fall. you need to start to turn into the cast a fraction sooner, a good guide for this is as the lead is coming past your head on the inswing you need to start the cast just as the lead goes out of eyesite. this should help cure your problem.
it is far better to turn into a lead that is still climbing on the inswing rather than try to cast a falling lead. there is a date posted for this coming sunday.