general casting problems

Please feel free to ask any questions related to improving your casting here,Pendulum Casting, Off the ground Casting, Competitions Casting.
Thom
Regular
Regular

general casting problems

Post by Thom » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:54 pm

Trust me, i have a list lol. Well actually i dont rate myself as a bad caster considering the tackle i use which isnt built for casting really but more heavy ground work with the exception of my penn villain rods. Well one thing i would like to know is what is the cast actually called where you swing the lead under you rod. By this i mean the lead is swinging inline with the rod not to the left not to the right. is this just a cast i have made up because it seems to work?

Secondly, when you have a rod rated to cast 6oz's does this include bait?
I guess it will but im just curious

Also with heavy ground rods, mine being the ron thompson axcellerator 13'6" and a 535 gs reel what sort of weight should i use to compress the rod, i can cast upto eight ounces and have tried upto six on this combo but it feels like there isnt a rig attactched when im casting, i still magage about 150 yards but i feel if i can manage to compress the rod it will go furthur. My problem is i dont need 8 ounces of lead to fish so should i consider a different casting style?

tj
Casting Coach
Casting Coach

Post by tj » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:52 pm

it sounds to me that you are using an aerialised form of the unitech cast, when this is cast off the ground the lead sits under and in line with the rod.

there is no need to increase the size of your weight in order to help compress the rod. a rod can be compressed using lighter weights. what you need to look at is your style of casting. this is where alot of peoples casting is let down. you need to get along to an insructor or a very competent caster so your style of casting can be looked at.

if you can get along to a casting tournament these are the places to go if you want to improve your casting.

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom » Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:56 pm

well i know i should see an instructor but i have neither the money or time due to my coarse angling, my time is dominated by coarse match angling which i have to admit i am quite good at and am undergoing trials for teams, i would like lessons but i feel it would be hard to fit them in with school aswell, any chance in getting a few casting pointers? and yes btw i think that is the cast im using would it maybe be better to go with the groud version or is it a case of whatever im comfortable with?

tj
Casting Coach
Casting Coach

Post by tj » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:02 pm

you need to get yourself a sound style and take it from there. have a look on this site as there are plenty of photos and a few videos which may help.

http://www.myfishcasting.org/

this is the site of the jersey casting club it is a very good site and there are plenty of very good casters who get on there.

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:04 pm

thanks and btw ever want a look at coarse angling just gimme a shout lol :D

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:19 pm

just wondered tj but is there a "law" as such about how far a lead will travel in how long. So say i made a five second cast that wouls be say 150 yards, is there a general time rule along these lines to help me better calculate my distances?

tj
Casting Coach
Casting Coach

Post by tj » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:54 pm

thats a hard one to call. as there are too many factors that would affect the lead travlling through the air. you have to take inti account,

air pressure

air temperature

wind direction

wind speed

angle of the cast

the best way to measure distance if you practice over grass is to get yourself a long length of plastic banding tape and mark it out in say 10 metre increments.

Thom
Regular
Regular

Post by Thom » Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:59 pm

well im happy with my current distances and i can probably get amongst the cod with distances like this but i can understand why some anglers like boat fishing lol, alot less painful until your heaving up big fish