spooning

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

spooning

Post by geordiesandman »

just had a thought, i know kitchen spoons are generally ued for flatties, but ha anyone ever used them as spining??

graham

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

Had to double check this thread :))

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Spoons can be used if shaped on a grindstone and drilled to take a split ring.
A lot of the old tackle pre 60s were homemade such as tank aerials used to make rods because of the bite indication with them being whippy and you had no chance of breaking them. lol
Cheers
keith :D :D

gynewguy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gynewguy »

Heard of the tank aerial rods before and other homemade gear like spoons and the like. Was there a point where tackle manufacturers hit the market big time?

Si

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Yep there was, back in the early 60s. Until then rods were like broomsticks. reels were of the old Scarbourough type with sidecast facility, Fixed spool reels were all the rage until Penn and Abu hit the market. Pe-built traces got more sopisticated.

A lot of stuff on the cheaper end of market today, that most tackle tarts frown upon would have been the bees knees if it were available back then.

Suprise, suprise, we still caught fish!!! even with such basic gear.
God I'm showing my age I had better shut up whilst the going is good!
Cheers

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 »

Hi Rabbi2 I know the fish population has fallen but even with gear not so advanced as it is today did you catch more or less fish then? B-) B-) B-)

DAZ

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

As daft as it sounds we caught more, but this was due to the fish being more abundant, a blank was unheard of. Whenever fishing Blackpool pier a fish super was guaranteed. I think this was more to do with the clean up that has gone on, especially recently. The fish used to always come close in to feed on the offal and waste that was pumped directly into the sea.

I know it sounds unappetizing but facts are facts.
Cheers

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 »

I know that the big trawlers are a factor of the decline in fish but do you think the clean up dont help shore fishing ie we catch more with waste being pumped into it, not trying to sound stupid or an ozone freak just intersted? ;) ;) :D

DAZ

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

It's only my opinion Daz mate, I suspect a lot of folk may disagree with me and my preconceived ideas but the trawlers get blamed for a hell of a lot, but as you can well imagine there were a hell of a lot more trawling do back in the 60s, even Fleetwood had a reasonably sized fleet. Since then the trawling industry has gone into decline.

So my own personal opinion is that the trawlers are blamed for an awful lot that isn't their fault. This don't mean to say that the dumping of fish don't sicken me, it does. But there again you can blame the high thinking politicians for ill thought out idea's such as landing quotas. When the fish could be landed and sold at a cheap price to hospitals and old folks homes and the like.

Sorry if I come over like a disgruntled old man but I am. lol.

Let me get of this pedistal otherwise I will end up taking my soap box to Hyde Park Corner.
Cheers
keiith :D :D

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by wannacatch1 »

You dont come across like a disgruntled fella just nice to speak to you pick your brain and always learn something form take it in cheers m8 :D :D :D :D

NICEONE

DAZ ;) ;) ;)

conga
Regular
Regular

Post by conga »

gynewguy wrote:Heard of the tank aerial rods before and other homemade gear like spoons and the like. Was there a point where tackle manufacturers hit the market big time?

Si
My Dad got me a second hand one from one of his angling mates when I was a kid,it was about 8ft long,the rings were wound out of wire and taped on but it had a nice cork handle.Caught my first fish out of the harbour with it,a small eel,bait was a garden worm! That rod had a lot of use and was passed on to another lad later.

geordiesandman
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by geordiesandman »

Cheers reel.

another thought i've now had is knives... a cheep table knife of about 30g, twisted, with a swivel either end would prob make some great movement and vibrations by spinning through the water....

time to start experimenting methinks.....

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Good idea, but don't forget to put a length of line about 9 to 12 inches from the lure (twisted knife blade) and the main line with a swivel so as to avoid as much line twist as possible,
Cheers