New species, or just another nail in the coffin of English?

Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

Sandfly

New species, or just another nail in the coffin of English?

Post by Sandfly »

Have I missed the discovery of a new species in the period before I returned to fishing? We used to catch Whiting in the winter, and in fact, I still do. However, very few other people seem to catch them nowadays, but they do appear to be catching a species called Yting. :-/

I guess this is just another 'fashionable' abbreviation. Perhaps the time saved in abbreviating words allows much more fishing to be squeezed in?

The English language appears set to descend into a morass of abbreviated and mis-spelt communications which one will need great expertise in code breaking and deciphering to understand; a bit like the dreadful text message language of today.

Perhaps fishing has gone the way of other interests. Birders talk of 'Groppers' and 'Blackwits', neither of which appear in any field guide. These terms are understood (even if disapproved of) within the birding community, but newcomers are left completely puzzled.

It doesn't take much extra effort to use correct names, or to check one's spelling. It's a pity many people don't bother to do it.

I apologise for having a little rant, but unnecessary or fashionable abbreviations really irritate me. X(

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

I must admit I don't like the abbreviation for whiting either - and "tings" is even worse. Interesting to speculate how reports would read if other species were similarly abbreviated:

Did some 'od fishing the other day with my mate, who got a huge 'ass.

Nice one m7

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

Unfortunately its just something we all have to deal with. Many words are abbreviated these days, more frustrating for me when i was teaching in the classroom. Slang has always been a part of English culture, and has evolved for the worse over the years.

Boxerman

Post by Boxerman »

I have to agree with Sandfly, the abbreviations are bad enough, but the standard of spelling on forum & message boards (not just this one) is so bad in many cases that either the miss spelled word puts a different meaning to a sentence, makes the sentence gibberish or sometimes I just cannot figure out what the word is meant to be!
Yes! I know I'm a B.O.F. and we all make typos but ...

Before anyone starts screaming " I can't help it I'm dyslexic" , I personally know three genuinely dyslexic people, and none of them will bleat about their problem, or use it as an excuse.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

The thing about Dyslexic folk is that they do try to spell to the best of their ability, which is more than I can say for some folk "myself included" as many a time I have re-read my post a a later date, only to find a typo error that I have had to edit, just because I hadn't bothered to re-read it before pressing the submit button. :((
Cheers
keith :D :D

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

rabbi2 wrote:as many a time I have re-read my post a a later date, only to find a typo error that I have had to edit, just because I hadn't bothered to re-read it before pressing the submit button. :((
Cheers
keith :D :D
You mean like the typo you just did Keith :)) :))

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

Its not abrevating so to speak it what is known as text talk, yes its a pain in the ass and shouldnt be allowed on forums like this as there are many old timers (keith) lol on here that struggle with it but once you get used to itits easier the trying to decifer :- lol, pmsl, bwt, ect ect but like the fish we move with the times seems like the fish near scarborough now reside nearer norway lol

Dave

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Americanisms also annoy me, perhaps because I had to suffer them so much whilst working for a US outfit before I retired. I particulalry dislike ass (which is a donkey) instead of arse, their habit of pronouncing "t" as a "d" and may I add, period instead of full stop.

Yakdiver
Regular
Regular

Post by Yakdiver »

colinthefish
Regular
Regular

Post by colinthefish »

Thought I was the only one that found "Yting" to be annoying. I even find that when sending a text, I cannot use "text talk" - I prefer to use proper english. Though I am prone to the odd spelling or gramatical error.

Guess this qualifies me as a miserable old git !

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

Surely you mean.......................correct English as opposed to 'proper'!!!

LOL........................JOLI :D