Pleas feel free to talk anything sea Angling related in this forum

Moderator: Admin

smallfry
Occasional
Occasional

how does that work?

Post by smallfry »

hi all
last year I brought a Shakespeare salt rod and greys g mag six multiplier used it a couple of times with the reel high up the handle and I was hitting 60/70 yards on sunday I went on the local playing field with it and put the reel down on the bottom of the handle and tried a few casts at first it all felt strange swapping hands round but and heres where im at a loss. after a while I started hitting some distance I was casting goal line to goal line consistently with a simple off the ground cast and minimum effort so how does dropping the reel improve distance? I know I didn't have a rig and bait on but it just cast better. cheers for any input
ian :D

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy »

its so you can load the rod say your right handed then your left hand is the one that gets you the distance as you load the rod with that hand so having your left hand up the rod lets you bend the rod while your right hand is on the reel even with fixed spool reels your left hand is the one that casts as you are casting a fixed spool reel as you are casting pull down hard with your left hand and that puts the bend in your rod theres a saying you have to bend it to send it and not using your left hand is having a lazy left hand wen you cast again really pull hard and see how you much improve your cast

hatter
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by hatter »

Great information roy
This is what this site should be about
Great tips that are valid and helpful

stillsy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by stillsy »

I keep reading casting advice in magazines & can never get my brain around what they are on about - your simple comments in your post make perfect sense - will give it a try next time I go out

Yakdiver
Regular
Regular

Post by Yakdiver »

That makes sence, I think I have a lazy left hand, but I think it goes with the rest of the body

smallfry
Occasional
Occasional

Post by smallfry »

thanks for all the input i think i understand now. will try and put it into practice over the weekend and into the week.
this is why this site is so invaluable ask a question and the amount of untapped knowledge that poors in is fantastic!
many thanks ian