Bait stolen

anything south coast sea fishing related here

Moderator: Admin

Robie

Bait stolen

Post by Robie »

Went down to Hayling mid day to pass a couple of hours, using mackerel and a one hook flapper. first cast, turned around to see a huge black dog running towards me i closed my tackle box but it grabbed my macky and all i could see the was the tail out of its mouth as it sped off. The owner did not even appologise, that going it be one sick dog. Well that was the end of my fishing.

Any one got a suggestion for a good spinner, plug for such times when i just want an hours quick fishing?

robie

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

Yep, it does attract too many doggies when you use Mackerel as bait!

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

How many times have sea fisherman come across stupid dog owners. My m8 had a dog in his ragworm whilst he was casting. Not going to put what my m8 said to the owner. But they are quick to blame the fisherman ;)

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

You sure have to watch it on Hayling - even at night because that's when foxes are likely to snaffle yer bait. I have lost stuff too many times and now put everything out of harm's way; last event I recall was a 2lb bass just caught at night which a fox ran off with. Don't ever trust to luck boys always put yer stuff away, I mean it only takes a few seconds. I tend to use plastic boxes with snap on lids.

Boxerman

Post by Boxerman »

We have the dog problem on our beaches too. How often do you hear "I'm sorry, my dog's eaten your bait - I'll just pop to the shop and buy you some more".
Never? same here.
Don't get me wrong, I like dogs - provided that they are not threatening or being a nuisance.

Frank

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

No such thing as bad dogs just bad owners ;)

Boxerman

Post by Boxerman »

flattiefanatic wrote:No such thing as bad dogs just bad owners ;)
In many cases true - but not always. I know someone who has spent hundreds of pounds on obedience lessons etc. for her dog, but you still can't trust the bu**er. It'll be fine one day and snap at you the next. Some people are like that too!

Frank

joliroger

Post by joliroger »

I got 'Mugged ' quite recently by a crooked pair of Chickens......................................................NOT a pleasant expierience!!!!!!!!!!!

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy »

the 2 things dogs love the smell of macky and squid so i prepare them at home just cut in to long strips and wrap round a bait needle with loads of bait elastic then freeze them wen on the beach take out one at a time from cool bag and put back on to bait needle and put on as much as you want then cut of this is the best way to wrap frozen worms as well its easier to wrap them on a bait needle

CantCatchCold

Post by CantCatchCold »

Hello, I can relate to your experience, i too had my fish menu nicked by a dog.
but even worse was on two occasions when dogs cocked their legs over my box, and my sandwiches were inedible.

Strangely enough, i did not fancy the bait for dinner, as some dogs do.

Tightlines, Lee

SimonV
Occasional
Occasional

Post by SimonV »

I had a dog take most of my squid the other day, then dumped my baiting needle on the shingle somewhere. I had to grab hold of the dogs collar and push it back. The owner didn't give a toss.
Reminds me of Pike fishing a couple of years ago. I was fishing off the dam wall at Frensham small pond when this Lab came over and stuck his head in my cool bag and started eating my dead baits. The woman owner just laughed and said to me... " Oh hes a silly dog"... I replied "he wont be silly now, as those deadbaits had treble hooks in". The look on her face was one of utter shock... I then told her the truth, that they didn't really. lol