Gemini Gem 2000s beachcaster

Discussion of sea fishing rods, boat, beach, surf casting and spinning rods.
occasionalangler

Gemini Gem 2000s beachcaster

Post by occasionalangler »

Been offered one in p/ex for some coarse gear - all I know is that its a 13ft built on an IM7 blank.Don't know the model/variant concerned,but before I jump - are they any good ?

Also being offered an Abu Mag Elite in the deal.

Also any idea of the value of these 2 items (both in VGC) so I can guage if the deal is fair to me......

Thanks
Last edited by occasionalangler on Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

I can't comment on the values. However, Gemini also made uptide rods which were expensive but ackowledged as being the VERY BEST QUALITY. They sold out and never reproduced the range. I never got the chance to try one sadly. If the beachcaster is in the same class, it will be somthing rather special.
Last edited by tomcat on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

occasionalangler

Well.......saw the guy tonight.VERY impressed with the rod and both it and the reel are in excellent condition.Suffice to say swap done and both sides happy.

Just got to get a few bits now (and some time LOL !!) and ready to go.

occasionalangler

However,having had a couple of days to think and remember when I beach fished last I did struggle with a multiplier due to a hand injury,and the Mag elite is also the CT version so no level wind which would be a nightmare for me. :(

Most annoying part is that the Gemini rod is most definitely rung for a multiplier so if I can't use the reel then I can't use the rod either....a bit of a quandry as to what to do to be honest :-/ Know that I would be able to get at least one,if not two FS rods and reels that would be perfectly adequate for me by selling them both.
Last edited by occasionalangler on Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Be patient and wait as another deal is bound to come along. No good buying stuff that you won't be comfortable with.
Cheers
keith :D :D

occasionalangler

Trouble is I have already,rashly,done the deal and they are now mine.

Am I able to advertise them for sale/swap on here anywhere ?

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

There is no overwhelming reason why you cannot use a FS on a rod with more rings than usual. Try it first.

occasionalangler

Agreed but the butt ring is only 30mm and the rod only has coasters.As I am at the moment to test the theory I would have to buy a FS reel and a sliding reel seat.....

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice »

I thought you intend to use a FS anyway. I've seen a FS used with coasters, even if not ideal. And I don't think a 30mm ring is necessarily a problem. I have a rod, supposedly rung for FS, with a similar butt ring, which I use with both reel types.

haylingbrian

Post by haylingbrian »

well, I am giving the Gem to my son as I have bitten the bullet and bought a whole new set up (look for the angler with the shiny new gear on Hayling front!!)

It now means that I have a willing and keen fishing buddy into the bargain as I got him some gear at the same time so can't wait to get down there and hopefully get in amongst them...........