New reel.

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
Jebend

New reel.

Post by Jebend » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:18 pm

aston74
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by aston74 » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:28 pm

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:34 am

Hi Mate, I've been at it for a few years now having started again when I as able to retire early. You are right, it's an absolute minefield out there when it comes to tackle and I made a few mistakes before I got it more or less right. A decent modern fixed spool will cast nearly as far as a multi for most of us and is much easier to use in several respects. After all, who needs to cast to the horizon when most fish are caught within 50 - 100 yds of the water's edge, especially at night. To cut a long story short, I have finally finished up with Daiwa fixed spools which hold just over 200 yds of 20lb line. I do in fact have a rather posh Shimano multi bought by workmates when I retired but it only gets used for boat fishing where it does a good job.
As far as beach rods are concerned I have tried (and bought) a few, some of which now just languish in the shed but finally realised that:-
1. You need a full carbon rod for decent performance (the "composites" don't really make it although they are cheap.)
2. If all you want to do is catch fish, there is little point in spending a small fortune on some of the really posh rods out there. Sit down and write yourself a definition of what you want that rod to do and look like then start hunting around for something close to your definition.

spike11

Post by spike11 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:35 pm