Penn Surfmaster No.200 ***help plz

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
Dave_S1984

Penn Surfmaster No.200 ***help plz

Post by Dave_S1984 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:04 am

Hi Everyone,

Your forum novice reporting in here all the way from the snowy north-east ;) .

Im slightly at a loss here ive inherited an 18 yr old Penn Surfmaster No. 200 (still in perfect condition) and im having a few problems on my practice casts.

I have only ever used a standard reel and was wondering if any of you fine people have any tips on using this reel, I understand what the basic leavers and switches do but what im having the BIGGEST problem with is after i cast the spool keeps spinning after the weight hits home and ends up nesting my line :(( how can i stop this from happening?

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:15 am

Put the line through the rod and attatch the weight, lift the rod and let the weight drop to the ground, if there is any over run then tighten up the brake (knurld nut in the center) until you can do this without the spool overunning. this is a good starting point.

Never try to slow the spool down but stop it dead with you thumb as soon as the weight hits the water.

Not one of the easiest reels to start off with but perfectly ok once you have mastered the above
Cheers
keith :D :D
Last edited by rabbi2 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave_S1984

Post by Dave_S1984 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:23 am

Thank you keith for your fast reply :D ill give that a shot after dinner today and do a practice run.

Ill report back with anymore problems i may run into ;)

Thank you once again

Regards

Dave

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:09 pm

Slow or stop the spool with your thumb lol. No wonder you're getting overruns :P Don't stop the spool on the line itself but the edge of the spool.

Don't over tighten the knob though. You'll crush the bearings. I like to have it set so that when I jiggle the spool side to side in it's cage you can hear the slightest little knock but can't see any movement.

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:40 pm

Might I suggest then, the reel being in perfect condition. Lock it up dry and safe or sell it to some fanatic. Looking at that link I know what i'd do.... keep it in perfect condition and go and buy a fishing reel.

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:08 pm

i asked about this reel for a friend a while back on another forum and heres what i got back
red hello.The Surfmaster is a good small Penn reel best suited to inshore boat fishing rather than what it's title suggests.It has no brakes fitted so wouldn't fare too well for casting.Still a strong wee reel and all parts still available form Penn servicing