SHIMANO NAVI 8000 VS BIOMASTER XSB 8000

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
twitchfagan
Occasional
Occasional

SHIMANO NAVI 8000 VS BIOMASTER XSB 8000

Post by twitchfagan » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:45 pm

Well i was thinking of buying 1 of these 2 reels, can anyboy tell me r give me an idea what to buy!!
I know the biomaster is abit more expensive but is it worth the extra money???

john

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:04 am

In a nutshell I would say no. The reason behind my answer is that there are plenty less expensive reels out there that will give you as much pleasure and are a joy to use, the other thing is that the spool skirt is too shallow, leaving the possability of trapping your line behind the spool. A better buy would be the Diawa Regal Plus 4500 BRi.

Infinate antireverse
ABS
Twistbuster
6 Ballbearings
Free Spare Aluminium Spool
Cheers
keith :D :D

bassmanrob
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bassmanrob » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:13 am

I'd say if you've got the budget for the shimanos go for one of them as they are excellent reels and importantly designed for surf fishing primarily. I have a shimano biomaster XSA 8000 (the XSB must be a newer model). All the important components on the shimanos are stainless steel which will last so much longer when saltwater fishing.

Pongos are doing a good deal on them at the moment:

http://www.poingdestres.co.uk/5616/Shim ... -Reel.html

While a good reel I'd say the Regal plus 4500 is designed for freshwater primarily (it doesn't state the bearings and roller are stainless) and the line capacity on the 4500 model is too small for beach casting really (220 yards of 17lb line compared to 350 yards of 17lb on the XSA 800). I know you won't need all this line for fishing but it is important for casting as distance is cut from frictional loss on the lip of the spool.

If you go for the regal the 5000 or 5500 model will be a better option but then the price is getting close to the shimanos.