Returning to Angling - Which Reel ?

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
sparkyman

Returning to Angling - Which Reel ?

Post by sparkyman » Thu May 19, 2011 4:07 pm

Hi All,

Newbie to the forum as I'm going to be needing a wealth of experience over the coming months as I make a return to Sea Angling (after 25 years away).

Been looking at Rods & Reels this week, trying to catch up with developments (and prices). I'm intially going to try a spot of light beachwork including a bit of spinning. For starters, I'm looking for an 11/12' rod to throw a 4/5 Oz lead with a multiplyer.

I'm familiar with the ABU 6500 series (levelwind) having fished very happily with one back in the 80/90's. I have been researching the latest ABu series to see what new and was pleased to see the old Ambassadeurs are still around. I currently have my eye on four different models, all at the same price as either NOS, clearance stock or "bought it but never used it". All four reels are brand new, unused, boxes, manuals, tools etc.........I'm hoping for a bit of consensus as to which would be the one to plumb for out of the following;

6500 CS C3 Mag
6500 CS Inshore
6600 CS C4 (American Import ?)
Record 60 (RCN60)

As a first questions on this forum, can I ask for comments on which may be the best buy, based on all four being available at the same price ?

Looking forward to your replies - appreciate your experience & knowledge.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Thu May 19, 2011 6:46 pm

Welcome to the forums, i have always been a fan of the mag having owned several of them. Reel's i have owned and liked in the past include.

1. 7ht
2. slo5h 20
3. penn 525
3. abu mag elite
4. Sports mag
6. abu blue yonder( i own 2 and still use them now)

Personally i would avoid the levelwind versions but thats a matter of personal taste. If you want a good casting rod then look at the Diawa supercast range or the greys range. Some people favor the sandstorm range too. I must admit i prefer to use 13ft rods for beachcasting but that's what im used to.

sparkyman

Post by sparkyman » Thu May 19, 2011 8:55 pm

Hi FF

Ah.....rods is something else I need to get upto speed with. Local tackle shop today steered me towards a Shakespeare Salt Bass 11'6 2-4Oz.....advised it would cope with 5Oz no problem and would suit my desire for a rod for light beach work.

I previously owned 2x Supercasts....I remeber the first I got on with fine - I think it was a 12'....the other rod, purchased a lot later, was a supercast II @ 13' I seem to remember. I didn't get on with that rod, too stiff for my ability, felt like a telegraph pole.

Anyway, I will be posting a similar request for reccomendations of a suitable lo/mid cost rod to get me started.......in the Rods section naturally.

Thanks for your input on the reels - that's one vote for the Mag then, out of the four on offer

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy » Fri May 20, 2011 11:25 pm

If you want levelwind either the Record 60/61 HC or the Inshore 6500/6501c3 but also worth looking at the Abu Revo Toro 60/61 HS, which has the same line capacity as the round reels but is low profile with bigger, stronger gears and stronger drag.
Review on tackletour.com.
Also look at akios reels which are an Abu lookalike but made like they used to be. the guy who has the firm is an ex Abu employee.

sparkyman

Post by sparkyman » Sun May 22, 2011 8:41 pm

Thats very interesting. Spent an 30mins in another tackle shop over the weekend - proprietor advised that Abu are no longer the company they use to be (Now owned by Shakespeare ?) - Quality has suffered as has spares availability. He also advised not to spend on Abu now but to wait for a week when he'll have stock of Akios. He did show me a Morrum if I really wanted a true Swedish made Quality Abu........well beyond my budget though !

I appreciated his honesty, as he has a display full of current Abu models that he COULD have sold me (as a complete stranger and a novice looking for guidance). Nice to know, as I wasn't aware that the company was now under new management and the quality had suffered. Maybe this would explain that the price of a 6500 in 2011 is now cheaper than the 6500's I bought in the 1990's ?

Thanks for the Akios insight - I need to do some more research.

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy » Mon May 23, 2011 8:53 am

Abu , Shakespeare , Penn , Fenwick , Sebile , and a few others are now owned by Pure Fishing which is part of the Jardin group.
They,ve been going through a lot of changes with all the corporate re-arranging over the last couple of years which has ked to problems with the supply side of things , and quality control , but it looks like things are now getting sorted out for spare parts.
I don,t use FS reels too much now except for puddle chucking where I use the Abu 706 CF reel and Spro Red Arc FS. The new Abu 500 series FS reels look very good ( harrissportsmail ) or look at Shimano Exage or Seido, for your carp rod.
Its not the number of bearings that count , its the quality that matters , and the corrosion resistant ball bearings (crbb) used by Abu , Shimano , Spro and Daiwa are the best avaiable.

sparkyman

Post by sparkyman » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:06 pm