Beach reel on a budget?

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
BazC

Beach reel on a budget?

Post by BazC » Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:18 am

Hi there, I'm looking to get back into sea fishing after a 30 odd year gap. I don't know if I'll stick with it so I want to spend the absolute minimum I can.

Currently I'm looking at a second hand Shakespeare Odessa 060, it's tatty but works and is very cheap.

However I've just noticed I can get a brand new Shakespeare Zeta 050 for just a few quid more.

So is the Zeta big enough for beach casting (maybe a bit of pier and boat fishing too) it holds 240m of 0.4mm mono.

Secondly would I be better off paying a bit more for the brand new reel than taking a risk on the used one?

I know this is the reel forum but I'm also considering a Masterline Debut D12 12ft beach rod - any dire warnings about that make/model? Again it's dirt cheap so I'm not taking much of a risk on it.

Thanks for any help.

Edit: There's also a Daiwa j7000x and a Silstar CX80, I haven't found any info on either. Any opinions on these two?
Last edited by BazC on Mon Jul 04, 2011 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:12 am

Not familiar with the reels mentioned but stay away from the Penn 850.

Reel wiz will be sure to advise you better as soon as he spots your post.
Cheers
keith :D :D

BazC

Post by BazC » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:20 am

Thanks Keith!

BazC

Post by BazC » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:38 am

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:47 am

BazC

Post by BazC » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:10 pm

Thanks for your input Redmouse, that certainly looks like a nice setup but it's way beyond what I'm prepared to pay at the moment.

I don't really have a budget, I just want to get started as cheaply as possible, later I'll upgrade if I still have the enthusiasm.

You raise an interesting point though, if cheap modern gear is so badly made maybe I should look at really old tackle? In the '70s I fished with an dreadful Woolworth fixed spool and a Penn Sea Boy multiplier. Both were pretty awful reels but they were sturdy and reliable.

BazC

Post by BazC » Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:11 pm

reel_wizard wrote: ... cheap gear was always badly made, thats why it was cheap.
Maybe, there was certainly plenty to dislike about those old reels but they weren't flimsy. I caught no end of mackerel with that old fixed spool and an equally cheap and nasty solid glass spinning rod and it never complained. If cheap modern reels really fall apart with the first decent fish then they clearly aren't as durable as that old woolies F/S!

I take your point though, I am looking out for bargain on ebay, the problem is knowing when you've found one when you don't know the gear. That Daiwa J7000x I mention in my first post for instance. I've no idea how good it is or how much it would have cost when new, I can't find any info on the net.

Never mind, I'll keep looking, maybe I'll find a bargain, thanks for your help!

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi,

After a break of around 20 years I have recently returned to sea fishing. For heavy boat fishing I am still using my old Abu Pirker boat rod and Woolies Winfield International 50 reel and for beach casting I am still using my Abu Atlantic 484 rod and my little Abu 6500C silver multiplier reel, all circa 1973ish. I always looked after my equipment and they are as efficient today as they were all those years ago. Perhaps a lot heavier than modern gear, but they still catch fish. I have got some modern equipment (shimano multiplier reel, Rovex beachcaster and spinning rods and Jarvis Walker fixed spool reel) and yes, they are lighter and possibly smoother than my antique equipment, but I am not sure that they catch any more fish! And I do get a certain amount of satisfaction from using my old gear - but perhaps I'm just a silly old man. But don't write off old equipment, it can still perform.

Cheers, Geoff :> :> :>

Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Judgegeoff » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:58 pm

Thanks Reel Wizard.

I bought the rod from 'Charlton & Bagnell' in Morecambe, Lancashire (Peter Bagnall made a record cast with this rod in 1973). The reel was purchased from a tackle shop in Skanklin, Isle of Wight, whilst on holiday. I remember being worried about how much I had spent on them at the time (I had a wife and 3 young kids). The only complaint that I have is that the rod won't fit into its original rod bag any more - I think the material has shrunk and the butt section ring is too big to fit into its compartment. Otherwise the rod and reel are in as new condition.

It just shows the importance of looking after your equipment - I always clean and lubricate my gear as soon as I get home, regardless of how tired I am.

Cheers, Geoff