Quality Beach Fixed Spool

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:48 pm

reel_wizard wrote: It wasn't second hand Eccles .... NOS = New Old Stock
OK so I did not understand that expression, now that I do I am well, just flabberghasted that the reel should apparently be in such poor condition.

SeaTurtle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by SeaTurtle » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:32 pm

I use multipliers myself but have been using my Emcast Evo's to lend to mates who are new to beach fishing. These were originally bought for carping (spodding) but haven't given me any problems since using 'em on the beach. You should really wash 'em in fresh water after a session (as they're not designed for beach reels) but I haven't been and they still work fine.

For the same price you can get the Emcast Evo Sport (the red one) which is more designed for saltwater fishing.

Cheers,

Dave

sparkyman

Post by sparkyman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:31 pm

Hi All,

Well a few weeks on now & The GT6000, although a lot of play in the handle/bearings, actually has been an absolute joy to use. It was SO much better than my first fixed spool, lots of distance with no effort - I really liked it and it also turned out to be a very lucky reel. 11 Turbot & 1 Plaice in 3 sessions - chuffed.

OK....I know the reel had nothing to do with the catch rate, but it was great to catch some nice fish the first time I used it and the next two trips. It inspired confidence, performed flawlessly, felt very solid and I believe it's an ideal fixed spool for rocky marks - Graphite construction has a lot of advantages in this respect.

RW -I think you're right, brass sleeving may be the way forward - shim stock is widely available, I'd just be worried about it working it's way out the casing and jamming up the internals maybe a drop of plastic safe loctite/superglue to keep it in place. What I didn't check was the OD of the bearings to see if they were a bad batch of undersized outer race or if the casing is oversize?

Anyway, a friend took a shine to this GT6000 reel, so I parted with it this week and decided to bite the bullet and upgrade to a cracking Power Aero 10000XSA I found collecting dust in the back of a shop - hope to try it out later this week but build & feel is outstanding. A little heavier than the GT6000, but I hope not enough to make any difference to my rock fishing. I've been holding the rod last few trips and catching everything thats bit.......previously using a small tripod, so may have been missing a lot of very shy bites.

I'd also love to try some distance beach work with this reel, always used mutipliers so I'm keen to compare the two - trouble is my beachcasters are both rung for Multipliers ........mmmm

sparkyman

Post by sparkyman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:21 pm