Scratched alloy spool repair?

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Scratched alloy spool repair?

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:04 am

I dropped an alloy spool from a FS reel on to concrete. As luck would have it the spool landed on the lip and scratched it in a couple of places, one pretty badly.

Is there any means of repairing such damage? Even grinding out the worst with some suitable fine-grade abrasive would perhaps render it usable again, though I have no experience of this.

Anyone know about this?

royboy
NE Coast Moderator
NE Coast Moderator

Post by royboy » Sun Sep 18, 2011 6:31 pm

if its no good tell me wat reel it is as i have a friend who we all give our old gear to and he repiars our gear he may have a spare spool as he as loads of them ive just give him 14 spare spools

sparkyman

Post by sparkyman » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:50 pm

I agree......you'll be removing metal from the lip so, if anything, it should offer less resistance to the escaping line during the cast.

First Try filling any deep gouges with Epoxy or Chemical Metal, then cut back the rough metal edges of the gouges with 600 wet & dry, followed by progressively finer, down to 2000 if you can. Close your eyes and feel for progress when working the damaged area. You should instinctively know when things feel right. I've done this very successfully with light/moderate Alloy wheel damage.

Corrosion will be the biggest problem with all the bare alloy as the surface finish (usually anodised) will have been compromised by the damage & repair. Keep the spool well waxed and rinse it after every trip is the best chance you'll have to limit corrosion setting in.

What model of reel do you have - spare spools can be relatively cheap, even for the more expensive reels. Maybe check out eBay for an identical model as a spares "Donor" for your reel ?

Iknowagoodplaice
Regular
Regular

Post by Iknowagoodplaice » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:31 am

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's an Exage 4000 spool - not sure what they might cost. I may try the wet or dry method and filler, but it may not be worth the trouble. I still have one good spool for spinning, which the reel is most suitable for anyway.

sparkyman

Post by sparkyman » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:44 pm