Reel differences? - saltwater and freshwater reel uses

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
Sandfly

Reel differences? - saltwater and freshwater reel uses

Post by Sandfly » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:43 am

Are there any differences in the materials used to manufacture reels for sea of freshwater use?

If I use one of my freshwater fixed-spool reels for lure fishing in the sea next spring, will it be ruined? Will it begin to rust within seconds upon contact with salt water?

Being as tight as a duck's bottom, I'm reluctant to spend money on yet another reel when I have a good selection available in my coarse fishing kit.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic » Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:07 am

Freshwater reels might not have the salt water resistance that sea reels have. Im sure you can use freshwater reels but most of those reels with the exception of big pit reels have a lower line ratio. If after every session you rinse the reels out(get rid of salt deposits then im sure it will be fine). But obviously if your sea fishing a lot then the salt water reels can be brought on a budget ;)

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles » Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Tend to agree with flattie on this one, I do know that quality sea reels have brass gears, graphite bodies and stainless components whereas I wouldn't know if freshwater reels have such materials. Personally I prefer graphite spools too as you then get no corrosion problems as happens with some metal spools.

fishy1330

Post by fishy1330 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 11:24 pm

well guys i have to disagree i have just washed my shimano biomaster gt 8000 after todays session it's a bought 12 year old and it's a big pit reel . having sed that some reels just don't last long at all . you get wot you pay for most salt water reels cost far to much :) :) :) ian

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:07 am

The penn 8000 were plasic gearing they were suposed to be the bees kness but turned out to be crap
Cheers
keith :D :D