Grays G-Mag reels

Discussion of Sea Fishing Reels, multiplier and fixed spool reels.
User avatar
Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Romney, Kent

Grays G-Mag reels

Post by Judgegeoff » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:59 pm




eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User
Posts: 3537
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 12:00 am
Location: East Devon

Post by eccles » Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:19 pm


wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User
Posts: 941
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:00 am
Location: Petersfield Hants

Post by wannacatch1 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:38 pm


smallfry
Occasional
Occasional
Posts: 223
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:00 am
Location: chesterfield

Post by smallfry » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:48 pm

hi geoff
i brought the gmag six last year as like you felt like "changing up" i didnt want tyo pay the earth as i didn't know how i would cope with a multiplier after using a fixed spool, anyway i've used it a few times and only had 2 major birds nests, but i haven't found its given me any extra distance but that could be down to the fact i'm still getting to grips with it lol, but on the whole its a nice easy to use reel that is well made and quite solid.
tight lines ian :D

User avatar
Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Romney, Kent

Post by Judgegeoff » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi Eccles, Daz and Ian, thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately there has been a disaster in our house - our wc has broken - so the question of purchasing a new reel will have to be put on the back burner, at least until a new suite is installed. Sadly my wife has always had strange priorities!

But thanks for your advice, wise as always.

Yours pennilessly, Geoff :(( :(( :((

wannacatch1
Advanced User
Advanced User
Posts: 941
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:00 am
Location: Petersfield Hants

Post by wannacatch1 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:14 pm

Judgegeoff wrote:Hi Eccles, Daz and Ian, thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately there has been a disaster in our house - our wc has broken - so the question of purchasing a new reel will have to be put on the back burner, at least until a new suite is installed. Sadly my wife has always had strange priorities!

But thanks for your advice, wise as always.

Yours pennilessly, Geoff :(( :(( :((
You had better save that scrap copper m8 lol >:)

DAZ

edwin
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:00 am
Location: London uk
Contact:

Post by edwin » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:23 am

wannacatch1 wrote:
Judgegeoff wrote:Hi Eccles, Daz and Ian, thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately there has been a disaster in our house - our wc has broken - so the question of purchasing a new reel will have to be put on the back burner, at least until a new suite is installed. Sadly my wife has always had strange priorities!

But thanks for your advice, wise as always.

Yours pennilessly, Geoff :(( :(( :((
You had better save that scrap copper m8 lol >:)

DAZ
Bought the Mag 6 a couple of months back after returning to beachcasting after a long spell of just occassional beachfishing (Flyfanatic-Sea & Fresh) I paired it to a Penn Stix 16ft & recommend it, it's a beauty of a reel & having worked my way through many reels since I started fishing at the age of 5 (60 yrs ago)---Get the Kahzi sorted quick or buy the wife a bucket!!!

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 9460
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:00 am
Location: Blackburn. Lancashire

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:32 am

You could always purchase a Gusunder, (Pee Pot, Jerry) and use the balance of what you save on the new reel. :D :D :D >:) >:) >:) >:)
Cheers
keith :D :D

User avatar
Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Romney, Kent

Post by Judgegeoff » Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:59 am

Lol Keith.

Our lovely (but broken) avocado green suite has now been replaced with a white one, the room has been tiled and decorated and my wife is very happy!

I, on the other hand, am penniless and sad! So I have decided to stay with my Fixed Spool beach reels, at least for the forseeable future and revise the position when (if) my finances ever improve.

As we have discussed before, it is easy to get pulled in by the tackle advertisements (magazines and internet) and we sometimes need a dose of reality to be able to differentiate between 'want' and 'need'.

Tight lines,

Geoff :( :( :(

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User
Posts: 3537
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 12:00 am
Location: East Devon

Post by eccles » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:15 pm


User avatar
Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Romney, Kent

Post by Judgegeoff » Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Very true Eccles, thanks, I always get good advice from this forum.

However, having returned to sea fishing after over 20 years, much of my gear is very old fashioned. I have treated myself to a carbon beachcaster and, compared with my old solid fibreglass rod, it is a dream - light, responsive and a pleasure to use.

Likewise, my new boat rod is much better than my old 'broomstick' rod (which would have boated a tuna without bending!). And this is important on a long session, especially the lightness of weight.

However, the difference between my old reels (fixed spool for beach and multiplier for boat) and modern reels does not appear to be so dramatic as with rods.

So, I will use my old reels with my new rods - and save myself some money.

Cheers, Geoff :D :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User
Posts: 3537
Joined: Thu May 19, 2005 12:00 am
Location: East Devon

Post by eccles » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:04 pm


User avatar
Judgegeoff
Occasional
Occasional
Posts: 241
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:00 am
Location: New Romney, Kent

Post by Judgegeoff » Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:35 pm

Thanks Eccles,

My first sea fishing was from St. Annes-on-Sea pier using a hand line. My first rod was one my father made from a hollow metal ex. WW2 tank aerial! It was too delicate to cast a lead out, so that was thrown out by hand and the rod used to retrieve. Then I progressed to a wooden rod (built like a broomstick) and then a solid fibreglass rod. All of these were so different from modern carbon rods.

My first reel was also made by my father, out of bakelite and brass, and I remember buying my first multiplier, an American 'Penn', when they appeared on the market. Thereafter I then spent many a (happy?) hour unravelling the birds nests, assisted by my patient grandmother. Happy days.

To a layman, those early Penn multipliers didn't seem too far removed from modern ones, design wise. On the other hand, rods have changed immeasurably

Cheers, Geoff :D :D :D

Ilurvmatthayes
Occasional
Occasional
Posts: 148
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:00 am

Post by Ilurvmatthayes » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:24 pm

edwin wrote:
wannacatch1 wrote:
Judgegeoff wrote:Hi Eccles, Daz and Ian, thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately there has been a disaster in our house - our wc has broken - so the question of purchasing a new reel will have to be put on the back burner, at least until a new suite is installed. Sadly my wife has always had strange priorities!

But thanks for your advice, wise as always.

Yours pennilessly, Geoff :(( :(( :((
You had better save that scrap copper m8 lol >:)

DAZ
Bought the Mag 6 a couple of months back after returning to beachcasting after a long spell of just occassional beachfishing (Flyfanatic-Sea & Fresh) I paired it to a Penn Stix 16ft & recommend it, it's a beauty of a reel & having worked my way through many reels since I started fishing at the age of 5 (60 yrs ago)---Get the Kahzi sorted quick or buy the wife a bucket!!!
Welcome to the forum Edwin- Glad you got on well with the Mag 6- good multi for the price especially as they've come down since their initial release.

gag1951
Member
Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:00 am

Post by gag1951 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:07 pm

Hi To All.
Bought a GMag 7 last year and lost the instructional card during a house move. I looked all over the net without success and eventually tried the Greys website. There is NOTHING on these reels at all on their website. I then tried to contact them via 'email' and didnt even get the courtesy of a reply. Will be voting with the wallet the next time as far as Greys are concerned. Very poor service from them and I am not impressed.

Post Reply