15 - 20lb line.

Please only use this forum for the discussion of Sea Fishing Lines and Braid.
SimonV
Occasional
Occasional

15 - 20lb line.

Post by SimonV »

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

hi simon
youll prob get a lot of diferent answer to this question but i my own case i use15lb main line and 60lb shockleader for all my shore / pier fishing hope this may help
cheers steve

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Unless rock fishing or fishing regular on a shingle beach 15lb should be quite adequate
Cheers
keith :D :D

tomcat
Regular
Regular

Post by tomcat »

As already stated 15lb should be perfectly adequate. If you have any doubt wrap a few turns around your hands and try pulling to snap it. 15lb is an awful lot stronger than you may imagine. Even harder is putting it through the rings of a rod and trying to pull hard enough to snap it. The snaps that come along when fishing are usually on a knot where the line is weakened. Take great care tying knots and the 15lb main line combined with a good leader will be fine.

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

I use 20lb because it gets dragged over Hayling shingle an awful lot of the time but I choose one which with a finer diameter for ease of casting. This is important because they do vary some, it should be possible to find 0.4 mm in 20 lb but don't go any thicker than that. Alternatively, you could split the difference and look for 18 lb which some guys do. Another but more expensive choice is of course braid if you are using a fixed spool reel. Met a guy the other day who was using a quality 30 lb braid on his FS, reckons it will last for ever even though it was dear so he wasn't bothered about the initial expense. He also said that fine braid tends to cut through weed better than mono but I personally can't substantiate that.

flattiefanatic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by flattiefanatic »

15lb will be more than enough for general fishing. The only time i would step it up to 18lb line is when your smut fishing. Most of the time the weed is terrible when smut bashing so 18lb ahould be ideal ;)

SimonV
Occasional
Occasional

Post by SimonV »

Cheers for the advice guys. Most of my fishing will be hayling island so ive just brought some daiwa 18lb... ready for Sat. Thanks again.

dontcatchmuch

Post by dontcatchmuch »

good luck simpm go get that line pulled :D
cheers steve