digging for lug

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
chaz123

digging for lug

Post by chaz123 »

hi all this may be a silly question to most of you but i was wondering how do you dig for lug ie: what do you use to dig for them and how do you know where they will be. i live in herne bay and was thinking of trying near hampton peir
any help would be much appriciated
charlie

dazzaman

Post by dazzaman »

Hi chaz
if digging,my preference would ba a garden fork,others will say spade!
However now I use a wide alvey bait pump :-/
Where you see the cast,somewhere in the vicinity will be a blow hole(small dimple in the sand).Put your digging tool parallel to the two.The worm will be in a "U" shaped burrow with the cast at one end and the blow hole at the other,how deep? Never can tell,sometimes though,the closer to the waters edge the cast,the shallower the burrow.The bigger the cast,the deeper the burrow.
Just dig until you find the worm
If using a pump,place over the cast,sink it about 2 inches and draw the pump back,if the worm isn`t there,put the pump in the same position(2 inches deep)and draw the pump again,continue until you find the worm.Don`t be tempted to push the pump deeper as you`ll only end up with a tail,or half a worm. :((
This is my method,other opinions will vary
Hope this helps,Darren B-) B-) B-)

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I still cant use a bait pump. will stick to me fork lol. keith

chaz123

Post by chaz123 »

ok mate will give it a go also how do you store them and how long can you keep them for
cheers

dazzaman

Post by dazzaman »

I transport them in a bucket,just covered in seawater,ensure there are no bits of,or dead ones :-O
Then,lay them on newspaper for a few minutes,removes excess water,then transfer onto clean newspaper,wrap into parcels and keep in a cool place(best in a fridge)
Change the paper daily and they will last for 4 ish days,remove any dead ones once again,when changing the paper :D
Hope this helps Darren B-) B-) B-)
I`ve never frozen them so if you need info on that,someone else will need to answer...................lol