whats the best winter bait?

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

whats the best winter bait?

Post by gallagher08 »

what would you say was the best winter bait to use me mate said it was squid to catch biggens
cheers josh

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi, it depends on what your after, but whatever it is, you will find the bait doesnt change by the season. check out sea fishing baits, on the left column, Tightlines...Mick
Last edited by manic_muppet on Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

howie

Post by howie »

best bait for fishing around pompey will be lug black lug rag and peeler crab if you can get it.
#why pay for the bait when you can dig it your self from tipnor by the firing ranges lug,rag can be dug here plus you will find some white rag as well,or failing that try buds farm in havant
H

4CodsSake
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by 4CodsSake »

It varies mate but squids a good bait along with lug worm tipped with squid/macky. Peeler crab can also be a good bait but again its just down to what there feeding on that dayand the area your fishing.

Craih :-h

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi Craig, you put it better than i did, We use the same baits all year round, just different variations according to species etc. :D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

The best winter baits are whatever is available locally. For instance rag wouldn't be as good if the area has good lugworm beds, this is not to say that rag woudn't catch but that the fish would be more used to feeding on local marine life. Cheers keith :D :D

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

Quite a few years ago some scientific research was done to see which was the top bait . The tests were on fish in a aquarium (cod and thornback are the only ones i can remember) and used the normal angling baits on their own and as cocktails.
No1 bait was lug/squid cocktail. No 2 bait was plain lugworm.
For once scientific results agreed with what really happens.
Like others have said the best bait is what the fish are eating where you are .
If you get a good fish for the table alway have a look in the stomach to see whats been on the menu, you can learn a lot about local baits.
sniggle

gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gallagher08 »

cheers evryone youre all a big help >:D<

yoxford

Post by yoxford »

So would I catch more fish if I threw in a menu for them to read first. :D

gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gallagher08 »

lol ;) ;)

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

[quote="yoxford"]So would I catch more fish if I threw in a menu for them to read first. :D[/quote]

YES , ive laminated one so it dosen,t go soggy and it doubles up as a lead lift. ;)

fabiofishes

Post by fabiofishes »

I wouldn't go anywhere without a small amount of lug/rag. coupled with some squid its simplicity itself and usually avoids dreaded blanks :-S

gman

Post by gman »

rag and macky has alwats seaved ne well, but i cant stand lugworm absoluty hate it, i wasted 13 quid on some lug for me and my mate and all day i dident get a single bite. my mate changed to rag and got a 2 lb pollock, i then changed to rag and got a pout and a nice sized wrasse (2lbish) we ran out of rag and went to lug and rthen suilence again! would not recomend it

gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gallagher08 »

cheers lads