squid for cod

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

squid for cod

Post by gallagher08 »

is squid a good bait for cod havent caught one yet so im gonna go for it this year

cheers lads and lasses if there are any
josh :D :D B-)

andiroo
Occasional
Occasional

Post by andiroo »

Squid is an all round bait for all fish especialy in the winter.

Best bet is either to pennal rig a whole squid with size 4/5 main hook or a lug/squid cocktail on a pulley rig with a 5/6 size.

Hope this helps

Andi

gallagher08
Occasional
Occasional

Post by gallagher08 »

cheers mate >:D<

themagpie

Squid For Cod

Post by themagpie »

Squid is ok for Cod but lug/squid cocktail is still best at this time of year. I remember last year on Orford Island at about this time of year the codling went absolutely mad for lug tipped off with just squid heads & tenticles. Couldn't believe it. As soon as one cast out they hit the bait hard.

Cheers

themagpie

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

Another on to try is taking a whole squid body with the guts and backbone removed, put it on a pennel rig and stuff it full of mussels, lugworm, mackerel etc and then tie the open end shut with bait elastic and tie the whole thing onto your hooks. Then take a baiting needle and poke a few hole in the squid body to let the scent of whats inside out, and there you have it, a bait with lots of pong that you can cast a long way without it flying off the hooks ???

fishinghotspot

Post by fishinghotspot »

Essexkenny

you described something similar to what is called the 'condom' method ..... for obviouse reasons :-)

flyingthistle

Post by flyingthistle »

hi there i use multibait bars i got from ebay would the condom method work for this type of bait or am i best trying something else? :-/
i fish up in aberdeen what is the best type of bait for this area?

codfather911

sd

Post by codfather911 »

essex kenny is spot on fill your squid with mussel most of the cod i have caught this year fallen to that bait its spot on m8 :D

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Yesterday on the clifftop at Filey I tried out an idea ive had for a while now, The macky i had was a bit soft so I took some cling film, I wrapped up the macky with a bit of mussel etc into a nice sausage shape and baited up as usual with a bit of bait lacky to help. It looks promising, i didnt catch on it, but something was eating it like it was going out of fashion, so i will be trying it again next time. :D Tightlines...Mick

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

You sure it wasn't the crabs again Mick lol

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

no it couldnt have been the crabs, i got the lotion for it, and havnt used those bogs since. >:) >:) >:)

mudlark

Post by mudlark »

manic_muppet wrote:Yesterday on the clifftop at Filey I tried out an idea ive had for a while now, The macky i had was a bit soft so I took some cling film, I wrapped up the macky with a bit of mussel etc into a nice sausage shape and baited up as usual with a bit of bait lacky to help. It looks promising, i didnt catch on it, but something was eating it like it was going out of fashion, so i will be trying it again next time. :D Tightlines...Mick
Try old nylon stockings or tights ... hold it all together pretty much as well but release a better scent trail.

Cabrat
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by Cabrat »

How the heck do you explain to the other half that your going fishing with a party pack of 12 scented ribbed super sensitive deluxe type condoms in your tackle area.........

OOh er mrs its like this I keep going on this forum on the net late at night and they reccomend I use condoms to feed the fish....................

Worst still don't prick them and then find you teenage son has nicked a couple as he is going to all night party......

Stick to the tights fella's

Cross dressing beats infedelity or early garandparentage any day :D :D