Crab gills

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
bassmanrob
Occasional
Occasional

Crab gills

Post by bassmanrob »

Was wondering how many people remove the gills or dead mans fingers when using crab for bait. Every article I seem to read on peelers says to remove them. I've never bothered personally and have always caught fish.

The reason given to remove them is usually that they are poisonous, surely that is just to humans and not fish though? Can't see the fish carefully picking them out before gulping down a crab!

Interested to hear others thoughts on this...

cuckoo

Post by cuckoo »

Hi rob , as far as i can make out , you only need to remove the dead mans fingers if you are freezing them down , apparently if you leave them in it helps the crab decay quicker :(

bassmanrob
Occasional
Occasional

Post by bassmanrob »

Thanks for the tip Lee, I never knew that. Will remember to remove them next time I freeze some down....now if I just had some to freeze!

mudlark

Post by mudlark »

A lot of people take the old gills out with the hard shell when using fresh peelers as it aids bait presentation - no need if your using the whole crab.

When your freezing crabs take them out as they harbour bacteria which thrives in the freezer and can turn your bait into a black bag of skin. A lot of people reckon they get on fine with freezing them without taking the fingers out but I've had problems in the past and I don't see the point in taking the chance and risking losing good bait. One thing you do notice with crabs frozen with the gills intact is that when they thaw they go off very quickly and turn black and useless, sometimes within the hour.

essexkenny
Regular
Regular

Post by essexkenny »

I take them out myself, because hey have got little bits of shell attached to them, and i dont want that to get in the way of the hook point when a 20lb cod decides to eat my bait!! :D

I can fish in hope cant I ???

jimjam
Regular
Regular

Post by jimjam »

no need to change if your catching like you said a bass aint gonna pick out the gills before eating it. like my dad always said dont fix anything that isnt broken i hear it week in week out lol :D

james