Squid baits

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
chrisandrich
Occasional
Occasional

Squid baits

Post by chrisandrich »

I have used lug tipped with squid and found that to be very effective but I know from other posts on this site that squid on its own is producing very good results from Walton Pier a venue I fish reasonably often. Every time I try squid on its own the results are dissapointing.

I suspect that it is the way that the bait is being presented on the hook(s). I have tried various hook sizes 1 to 3/0 aberdeens with flapper rigs and 3/0 viking pennel rigs together with various sizes of bait from whole squid on the pennel to heads on 2/0 hooks and 2cm pieces on sizes 1/0 and 1.

Any advice on getting this bit right gratefully received.

Thanks in advance

Richard

sniggle
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by sniggle »

Make sure the bait is not masking the hook , i think the trick is to put the squid where the fish are. If there are a lot of fish about the bait gets wolfed down so the others don`t get a chance so bad presentation is probably not the reason. A hungry whiting is not a fussy eater( but they prefer macky to squid) but if the fish are scarce you need a bait with a good scent trail. Have you tried luminous beads , they can pull the fish in .......sniggle

chrisandboys
Occasional
Occasional

Post by chrisandboys »

I'd use longer strips, about the size of your little finger, as a minimum.
Thread half up the line and let half dangle. On a pennel rig bottom hook from eye to eye - this is pretty solid and will slowly let out juices.

Use uncleaned squid with all the skin, ink and guts - you can usually get this cheap from Oriental supermarkets and bait shops - the stuff from Tesco's etc is usually cleaned and more expensive.

chrisandrich
Occasional
Occasional

Post by chrisandrich »

Sniggle - have just tied some rigs with coloured beads and some with floating (to try to keep the bait away from the pesky crabs). I will tie a couple up using lumious type beads and try them out, have used these before but for boat fishing in deep water.

Chris - when baiting a pennel do you wrap the line attached to the bottom hook around the squid body or not bother - I think that I saw this somewhere but may only be needed for distance casting. I agree the Chinese supermarket is the best place to buy squid from.

Thanks for the tips will try out soon.