HELP - are my Yellow Tails dead?

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
SniperOne

HELP - are my Yellow Tails dead?

Post by SniperOne »

Never tried keping worms alive before, so today i picked up a lb of Yellow Tail, got them home, put them in a a cat litter tray with sea water in, placed another cat litter tray on top and left them in the kitchen for about an hour before putting them into the shed.

Before putting them in the shed there were 4 that appeared to go really stiff and blood was coming out of them (think i shocked them) so i put them in a sepearte tub but the rest of them were all swimming around nicely.

Decided to check on them about 10 mins ago, they have been in the shed for a few hours now but i think they are all dead, none of them are moving around and most of them have what i can only describe as red lips coming out of their heads?

I am digging for the first time on Saturday and will be wanting to keep the worms alive for a week or two but i am now concerned that they will die before i get to use them.
Last edited by SniperOne on Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Salt them or freeze them before you lose all of them Cheers keith.

SniperOne

Post by SniperOne »

rabbi2 wrote:Salt them or freeze them before you lose all of them Cheers keith.
Table salt?

Why has this happened though?

findus
Occasional
Occasional

Post by findus »

Table salt? yes

Why has this happened though?[/quote]
water mite have been to warm or to cold if you are trying to keep them alive only put 10 to 15 in a tray and put water half way up the worm if you cover them they will die try to get water when you dig your worm at the same time and keep it at same temp as the worms and check once a day but i gut mine and detail them dry them off wrap in news paper and they keep for up to a week in cool spot

SniperOne

Post by SniperOne »

Just nipped them and got some of the water out, wrapped them and they are now in the freezer.

Lets hope i get it right next time lol!

Cheers Guys >:D<

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

If you have just one damaged worm in with the good, the rest will give up quite quickly in my experience. Those "lips" you mention are in fact their burrowing tackle and are extended when they are trying to get down into the substrate whatever that may be. It is important to change to fresh seawater at least every other day unless you are going to dry them out because the water they are in is soon contaminated with their by products and deprived of oxygen. Also they must not get too cold - 5 to 8 degrees is about right hence I keep mine in the fridge where they are usually OK for at least two days or longer if the water is changed. To keep them in the shed in current weather conditions when temperatures can drop to 0 or less is asking for trouble. My mate said so why don't they die at night in the harbour and the answer is that 30 cms down in the mud at night the temperature is rarely less than 5 degrees even with a air temperature of say minus 5 at the water surface.

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

everytime i dig i fill a 2 litre bottle with sea water to bring home.

i usually keep the worms in the takeaway chinese containers, about 10 in each.

get some newspaper and soak it in sea water and put into the bottom of the container. put in about 10 worms and put more wet paper on top. put on the lid and put it into the fridge.
check them every day and remove any broken ones. take out the paper and put in a new layer of it(wet). put the worms back in and into the fridge again. do this for about 3 days and youll notice that the paper will be a little cleaner each day. eventually you wont need tidy them as often as the paper will be clean but still remove any broken ones daily.

get a few traces and but the broken worms onto the hooks. put a trace into a container. put a layer of paper over it and put in another trace till your worms are used up. freeze these and take them with you when fishing. its better than throwing out the broken ones and you can cast this straight away while you set up the rest of your gear.

ive had worms alive for a week by doing this. i bought a cheap wine cooler a while back and it only cools to about 3 degrees and it seems to work a treat.
Last edited by redmouse on Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

squiresoak

Post by squiresoak »

Some great advice there lads. The other alternative sniper is to find yourself a generous bait digger from barrow in Furness >:D< >:) >:)

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

SniperOne wrote:Just nipped them and got some of the water out, wrapped them and they are now in the freezer.

Lets hope i get it right next time lol!

Cheers Guys >:D<
make sure you dried them first by letting them sit on paper for a few minutes. then wrap them up. open out the paper, put on a worm, roll it overput in another worm, roll over etc, etc so the worms arent touching. then put the wrap into a plastic sandwich bag and seal it. this stops them from getting freezer burn.

SniperOne

Post by SniperOne »

Thanks for the advice guys >:D<

I dug about 1lb of lug on Saturday, fished Sunday, today and going again tomorrow with the same worms that i dug on Saturday as i managed to keep them alive :D

Do i now qualify for the NVQ in Worm Management :)

redmouse
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by redmouse »

i was talking to a guy yesterday with a good set up for keeping worms.

he had a cat litter tray in a fridge with a little battery powered air pump.

he puts in enough water to cover the worms and puts in the tube from the pump. he cleans it daily for 3 days then just changes the water every 3or4 days after that.
he reckoned he had worms alive for upto 3 weeks with it but the battery only lasts a day so rechargable ones are needed.