Leftover bait

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Leftover bait

Post by rabbi2 »

It never ceases to suprise me the number of people who leave their leftover bait on the sea wall floor or seats rather than take it home and refreeze it.

Smelly bait can on occaasion outfish fresh, as was the case yesterday out on Blue Mink from Fleetwood.

9 people on board using Mackerel. Fresh Lug, Squid, Mussel and one old guy (myself) using refrozen smelly lug.

4 of the lads blanked and 4 caught doggies undersised flatties.

I myself return 6 fish and took home 2 decent sized plaice and 1 enormous Dab.

Was it luck or was it the fact that the scent was much more powerful and atracted the fish to my hook.

I dont know, you tell me.

So before you discard your unused bait to the seagulls, take it home , refreeze and give it a try on just one of your hooks next time you go fishing.

Cheers keith :D :D :D

squiresoak

Post by squiresoak »

Top tip Keith, I re-wrap my bait in fresh newspaper before freezing it again. I fished the ribble recently using such a bait and had a nice haul of flounders for my efforts. It's no good moaning about the cost of bait if you're prepared to throw decent bait away every time you go fishing.

squiresoak

leadchukka14

Post by leadchukka14 »

Too true ,we use old frozen down rag to catch the dabs they love it.

On the last up-tiding trip we had a lad used squid that was red and buzzing,he had a 9lb cod and 5 rays on it.

Just bag up your left overs and freeze.

AND all the rubbish doesnt get thrown about the venues!!!!!!!!!!!

regards

mike ;)

A_Smithy

Post by A_Smithy »

Great tip Keith. Maybe next time i ll chuck my leftovers in the freezer. Give it a try. And well said Mike its a shame that some really nice marks are getting trashed. For example Sudbrook, nice place but theres so much litter about. And as Mike knows Witches was a mess last time we went. Found Bait stuffed down the side of the rocks and it was a good job it wasnt summer, because it would of been humming. Maybe Mike should of used it to catch his elusive 20lb ray. =))

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

I agree, the only bait I don't keep (but return to the sea rather than leave it lying about) is blow lug because it just turns to mush if you try freezing it.

leadchukka14

Post by leadchukka14 »

I do agree about lugg worms but i just freeze them down and if flatty bashing with just a lob cast hook the old lugg on the lead grippers.

Better to have scent in the water than the bin.

regards

mike ;)

cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

I have always refrozen my bait and have been known to make a box of squid last about 6 sessions when fished alongside worms and mackerel. But saying that I have of late blanked? My bait choice - who knows. Maybe better luck next time

andykinson

ragworm

Post by andykinson »

I might being a bit stupid but as anybody frozen rag worm that they have not used and had any subsequent success. Or is it not really something that would be advised?

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

In short frozen rag is a no no. Its one of the baits that wont be of any use after being frozen.
Cheers keith :(( :(( :((

squiresoak

Re: ragworm

Post by squiresoak »

andykinson wrote:I might being a bit stupid but as anybody frozen rag worm that they have not used and had any subsequent success. Or is it not really something that would be advised?
Something I have been told but I have never tried it as yet as I never have much rag left at the end of a session is to boil a pan of water and keep adding table salt until the water can't dissolve any more (don't use your Mrs' best cookware). Remove the pan from the heat and allow to cool completely before throwing the live rag worm into it. Leave them to soak overnight or around 12 hours. Drain the worms and dry them on kitchen paper, wrap in newspaper as you would lug and then freeze. If you just put rag into the freezer it turns to mush when defrosted.

At the very least it may serve to bulk your bait up if nothing else.

tensenervoushaddock
Regular
Regular

Post by tensenervoushaddock »

you can dry salt lug and rag. I use an old ice cream tub; pour 1/2" salt in, add worms in a layer, more salt, more worms in layers. Shake it all up every few hours to redistribute the worms so that they are in contact with drier salt. After a day or so of this treatment the worms become shrunken and tough. Bag up and keep in the freezer or in the fridge, they seem to last for days without deteriorating even out of the fridge.
The salt was 70p or so for 3Kg in Asda..... makes cheap bait from something you were going to throw away.
The salt will dry out if you keep it in a dry place and you can re-use it.

Yes, the fish do like them, it is worth doing.... I've had wrasse pout and flounder on them and notice no difference between fresh and salted during the same session.