how long do you usualy wait before renewing / checking bait

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
scoob8254
Regular
Regular

how long do you usualy wait before renewing / checking bait

Post by scoob8254 »

i know most people are different but just wondering how often you guys check and renew your bait, ie do u check em after 20 mins or after 40 etc, i appreciate its different for different types of bait, just wondering as i usualy leave even my worm baits out quite a long time where as the older fellows i see fishing tend to change theirs quite often

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi if its a soft bait, ie lug, mussel etc, and more so if my bait is on a rig holding it on the seabed, i check around 20 to 30 mins max. if it a squid body filled with other bait i tend to leave it a bit longer. but its a matter of whether the crabs are active more than anything, they can strip it in the first 2 mins..Cheers...Mick

simon2345
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by simon2345 »

I leave mine 15min Max but can depend on Bait as Rag Juices normally empty after that then just skin.Any longer the Crabs and welks turn up for free feast .But can depend on amount of weed and current strength.Experiment alittle look at the condtion of the bait after 15minutes.

My fishing Buddy says- If you wont eat it after 15minutes in the sea dont expect the fish to.. :P

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Lug that has gone ripe you can leave longer as it retains its pong longer than fresh.
Cheers keith :D :D