How to put sand eels on

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
Reels_on_wheels

How to put sand eels on

Post by Reels_on_wheels »

Hi folks, I have been using rag worm today with some success. Caught a couple of small Pollock but I also bought frozen sand eels (small ones) I am not sure how to put them on as bait so I would appreciate any hints or tips for using eels.
I did cut it into usable sizes, put the hook straight through, brought it back along the length of the piece with the hook exposed and then used bait elastic to keep it on. Is this correct? I suppose I am answering my own question here because I did catch a 1lb Pollock on it but I would like to see pictures of how it is used if possible.
I am relatively new to this so any information would be a great help.
Cheers
Reels

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

When I go wrecking, always put sand eels on by putting hook point down throat and out through gill cover. Mind you that is a live SE and I am not sure it would work so well with frozen.

crazy-dude
Regular
Regular

Post by crazy-dude »

With frozen sand eels you can hook the whole fish top and tail with a pennel and then bind with elastic, but if you cut off the head and tail and then hook in the same way it releases a very strong scent trail for the fish to home in on
B-)

Nemesis_SLR
Occasional
Occasional

Post by Nemesis_SLR »

there are many ways to bait up with a sandeel but the one you suggest seems ok and i worked for you! i prefer to lop the head and tail off and present like in the picture

sorry about the poor quality of the picture :(

zzippy247

Post by zzippy247 »

Sometimes it helps to cut the tail off as it helps to stop the fish spinning in the tide ( works for other whole fish baits as well)

Oh, and consider a pennel as well..the top hook helpls bait presentation and stops the need for elastic

Chris

Reels_on_wheels

Sand eels

Post by Reels_on_wheels »

Hi guys
Thanks for the information about baiting up with sand eels. I have tried numerous times with frozen sand eels and they have not been very productive but even today, there were guys fishing next to me using crab and they were not producing anything either so I don't feel so bad.
I did make a few pennel rigs and I have been using them but I was fortunate to get a book for Christmas that was suggested to me. It is 'The Sea Anglers Step-By-Step Guide to Bait and Rigs' and it have been very useful for making rigs and about using different baits but there are a couple of pages related to sand eels. He suggests taking the tail of just as zippy and crazy-dude have said but he the book shows the bait on the hook with the point of the hook covered by the head. Any time I use bait, I always leave the hook exposed. Maybe this is meant so that the fish swallow the bait whole and then it makes sense. Is this correct or should I leave the hook exposed.
I have been using a pennel rig and I take the head and tail off the eel, hook the bottom hook through the lower part of the eel and the other hook through the top of the eel. I then put elastic round it to keep it on and make sure it casts alright. Both hooks are clearly exposed.
I would appreciate any comments on what other people do. Hooks exposed or not?
Cheers
Reels

zzippy247

Post by zzippy247 »

Hi... Hooks exposed...every time for every bait....if you cant clearly see the point and part of the bend your hook is too small for the bait you are using

Chris

matjohn

Post by matjohn »

right sandeels are very soft so watch out

step one: open eels mouth and put the hook through the bottom jaw of the sandeel

step two: pull the hook and put it through the body and try not to make guts come out lol

yungteddy
Occasional
Occasional

through the lip

Post by yungteddy »

if its frozen i would hook it through the top and bottom lip this would make the fish seem more natural wen swimming i would also put some cuts in the side of the fish to let some juices out to attract fish, tight lines mate :P ;)

night-fisher
Occasional
Occasional

Post by night-fisher »

Hi mate

Check out this site, there is a vid of Alan Yates showing you how to do it.

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Videos/Fishi ... R=EPI-2589

simplybob

Post by simplybob »

superb link

just what i was looking for,

keep them frozen is the key

waggoner

Post by waggoner »

I put Sand eels on one foot at a time, making sure the buckles are undone first

boynsie

sand eel

Post by boynsie »

Hi mate

ive sent you a pm with a video on how to bait them i use this method and holds tha sand eel very well

Boynsie