are hardback crabs anygood as bait???

Discussion of Sea fishing bait, Mackerel, Ragworm, Squid, Hermit Crab, Lugworm bait.
griff69

are hardback crabs anygood as bait???

Post by griff69 »

hello all are hardback craps any good as bait if you cut them in half and lash them on with elastic?? :-/

joeyp

Post by joeyp »

i caught my first ever bass on a hardback crab but ive not really had much luck since that but then again ive not used them alot, i might find a few this weekend and give them ago. :)

griff69

Post by griff69 »

Did you stick him on whole ??

joeyp

Post by joeyp »

yep legs aswell just put him straight on the hook seemed to work that day.

griff69

Post by griff69 »

Cheers joey i'll try anything once where are you fishing at the weekend?

joeyp

Post by joeyp »

not sure yet havent decided but will be going somewhere in portsmouth. where you going?

griff69

Post by griff69 »

i'm going to try the sea wall at lymington marshes an old boy at work has told me that theres a good chance of catching he has caught many different species there so ill give it a go it will make a change from my usuall marks that havn't been producing lately

joeyp

Post by joeyp »

i just hope the weathers ok but atm it dont look very good, but i'l probably still go. :D

yungteddy
Occasional
Occasional

ballan wrasse

Post by yungteddy »

ballan wrasse can be caught on small hardback crabs just pull the legs of and thread it through the hook

shannock
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by shannock »

i keep trying but yet to suceed

wil let y know if i do

cheers steve

dave69

crab

Post by dave69 »

I caught a 3 and a half pound bass on crab the kids caught just took top shell off.

torgils

Hard Backs

Post by torgils »

Hiya
Superb natural bait for Smooth Hounds, Bass, Cod, Skates and Ray's, if you can mount them almost natural, and occasionally retreive a few yards every so often then a great bait.
By natural, hook through the purse of the crab maybe just use a little elastic cotton, not too much, will stand up to light casting, great for boat fishing though. I used to have pots in the harbour, and checked them each time I went hooking.
Best regards
Torgils