anything Wales Coastline sea angling related here

Moderator: Admin

sheep
Occasional
Occasional

bracelet bay/limeslade saturday

Post by sheep »

hey guys,

just a quick question, im going to the above over the weekend, what am i likely to catch and how am i gonna catch it???

sheep

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

someone (can't remember who) posted a topic a while back saying they pulled out a few wrasse from that area

sheep
Occasional
Occasional

Post by sheep »

cheers mate, i did read it but it doesnt say methods etc...

any info would be great

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

I don't think you could go wrong with a pulley rig or a rotten bottom because it's quite a rocky venue. I wouldn't like to hazard a guess at what bait to use. Prehaps rag?

sheep
Occasional
Occasional

Post by sheep »

i was going to try the lures and spinners but anything will do :L

swanseajack22

Post by swanseajack22 »

I live on Plunch Lane which is the road leading up from Limeslade Bay, and have fished Limeslade and Bracelet for many, many years. I realise this guide is probably too late for you, Sheep, but I hope it may help you or others in the future.

Low Water.

As you're looking at the sea, to the right hand side of Limeslade Bay, casting worm about 50 metres from the back of the large stack of rocks (which is misleadingly known locally as Bass Island) into the sandy mouth of the bay, can produce flatties, doggies, and maybe even ray (although I'm yet to witness one). Stretching form Bass Island round to the first point between Limeslade and Langland is a long stretch of rough, undulating ground filled with gulleys and points. Flicking a peeler or large mackerel bait a few yards out into the oncoming tide can often produce decent size bass, but be sure to use the lightest tackle possible; rig losses here are almost guranteed. To the left of Limeslade Bay, half way round Tut Head towards Bracelet Bay, there are again many gulleys. Look for the thick clusters of kelp in the water as this is the best mark in my opinion. Crab here can very often get bass, as well as the occasional bream if presented on a smaller hook. Lures can also work here. Bright colours work best, I find.

High Water.

At high, any small bait (mackerel, rag, and squid all work fine) put into Limeslade Bay will usually produce wrasse, or Pollock. Pollock will also take lures, and hokai feathers. Gurnard will also turn up occasionally on bait, and as is always the case for most of the Gower shoreline, be ready to expect the occasional bass, although keep sized bass are almost unheard of here at high water.

The biggest mistake I see people making here is fishing for the wrong specimen at the wrong point of the tide. I find good size bass will only be taken from a couple of hours either side of low. Slinging large baits into the bay at high may produce some bites, but these will be from curious blennys, wrasse and pouting which are too small to take the hook. Be prepared to lose a lot of gear if you change your casting areas regularly. Limeslade is one of the rockiest beaches on Gower and will take all of your rigs, lures, and feathers if you give it a chance.

The fishing here is not always the most productive, but it is easily accessible at high and is well suited to the more relaxed weekend angler as long as they are prepared to lose a bit of kit.

I hope this is of help to somebody one day. B-)