Complete Novice Advice

anything Wales Coastline sea angling related here

Moderator: Admin

Lost_Langland

Complete Novice Advice

Post by Lost_Langland »

Hi,

New to the forum :D so initially hello and never fished in my life so please excuse the seemingly stupid questions.

I have recently moved to Langland swansea and really would like to start fishing.

Can people advice what i would need to buy, someone has mentoned a 10ft beach caster, what else is needed, weights etc?????. Secondly where is best to cast for a beginner around langland, mumbles.

What fish can be caught and what bait would i need to use.

sorry for the lame question, just really lost.

thanks

dai

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Don't know your sex/stature but to me 10ft is a ladies rod, suggest you go for 12 or 13 ft rod as a starter. A longer rod has some advantages such as being able to cast further when you need to and keep your line higher out of the surf/weed when those conditions exist. Get some "gripper" weights or "sinkers" as they are often called, they have wire spikes which dig into the sand and prevent your bait from drifting in the tidal currents. I use 4 and 5 oz jobs and some folk use 6 oz but this is not usually necessary unless currents are particularly strong in your area. You will of course need a reel and it is usual to start with a fixed spool reel which will hold around 200 yds of 20lb breaking strain line. Unfortunately there is some real rubbish in some tackle shops so I suggest you go for Diawa or Okuma Reels with at least three ball bearings to be sure of getting something which will not fall to pieces in five minutes. I would also suggest that you start with size 1 or 1/0 hooks to start with and add other sizes as you experience/knowledge increases.
A friend of mine who lives in your area joined the club which is near Mumbles pier (I can't remember the name of it) and learned an awful lot in a short time. If you can afford it, I suggest you do the same.

Lost_Langland

Post by Lost_Langland »

Hi thanks for the response!

I am 6ft male about 15 stone so 12ft sounds better.

what type of fish can be caught in this area beach casting?

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Bass almost certainly and especially at night. Also black bream in the summer and cod in winter. You should be able to find some spots for flatties too. Last time I visited my pal we were going to try the loughor estuary for flatties which seemed a likely spot to me but it kept piddling down and I got fed up with it - does it ever stop raining in Wales? LOL

jacko69
Tackle Forums Mod
Tackle Forums Mod

Post by jacko69 »

hi Lost_Langland, warm welcome to the site where you are is not my area but you will probably find that someone on the site will be able to help you out and mabee meet with you to show you the ropes, all i can say is enjoy your fishing

Dave :D

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi Dai, welcome to the site, as jacko said there will be someone that can get you started, or even show you. Cheers..Mick

celticcatch
Occasional
Occasional

Post by celticcatch »

Hi lost langland/ Dai . I've tried langland once and I lost a dexter wedge throwing it inbetween some pinnacles/rocks =D> silly me. There is a teeny weeny amount of lug there (shhhh!!) which you can use for bait. I'd expect there to be crabs there in the rock pools also.

Theres a reasonably sandy patch in the middle but I have not tried this bit because even on a overcast rainy day some berk (excuse my french) was still paddling up to their knees. Next time I go here i'll walk along the coastal path half way between caswell and langland and try there instead.

I use smaller weights (1 - 2oz) when fishing rough ground /rocky areas because I don't feel I need to cast far, the leads don't snag as much and if you do loose one it's only a couple of pence.

I'm only using a 8.8 foot at the moment and i'm 5' 9". But I have had a go of a 10 foot and two 12s recently and I'll be moving in that direction.

Hope this helps

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

A warm welcome to the forum mate. Sorry I took so long to welcomming you but we have been away over the weekend at a kids sea fishing competition.

Cheers keith :D :D :D

swanseajack22

Post by swanseajack22 »