tips and advice (newbie)

anything Wales Coastline sea angling related here

Moderator: Admin

loggy

tips and advice (newbie)

Post by loggy »

hi guys,just got back into fishing after a 15 years away from the sport,i fish the long arm in corus port talbot and would like to go for flatties and the like,i got 15lb main and 60 lb leader at the mo,is this to heavy to fish for that kind of species and what rig and bait should i use,cant belive how hooked i am into fishing again,i would rather go fishing than down the pub,how sad am i,many thanks in advance.

manic_muppet
Honorary Member R.I.P

Post by manic_muppet »

Hi Loggy, welcome to the site, your line is ok, the only change you could make is to your leader, but if your using 5oz weights i would leave it as it is. A 2 hook flapper with size 1/0s should suffice for the flatties. The usual Lug, Rag, Macky, n Squid should do for bait Cheers..Mick

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

I used to fish with a similar setup to yourself, but have now swithched to using a carp rod with a 2oz weight and 20lb line without leader. The bit indication is super on such a soft rod and no effort is required for casting.

When I used to use hevier gear there were times when I didnt know I had a fish on.

As mick says Hooks 1s or 1/0s aberdeens baitwise lug, mackerel and dont forget mussel.
Cheers keith :D :D

PS dont forget that flatties are normally close in so dont try casting for the horizon.
Last edited by rabbi2 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

loggy

Post by loggy »

cheers lads,some good advice,cant wait to put it to the test