newbie help with hook size

anything Wales Coastline sea angling related here

Moderator: Admin

broadis

newbie help with hook size

Post by broadis »

just a couple of quick questions -
1 what size hook should i be using for general pier fishing (bass, black bream, whiting etc).i think im using too big a hook (size 2.0)
2 if i were to buy frozen mackeral from the shop at the pier would it need to thaw out or can i stick it on frozen.
3 is it possible to fish the pier at low tide as i am quite limited to times i can go. (mumbles pier)

as you might have guessed i am very new to fishing and trying to take in all the info i possibly can

thanks in advance for answering my dull questions
lee

phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy »

hi m8 for bass youll need a 2/0-5/0 hook depending on bait size. the bream have smaller mouths so a size 4 or 6 hook is best. not sure about whiting.
as for the frozen bait i usually buy the bait from the tackle shop and carry it down to the mark in a cool bag and by the time youve found a spot and setup etc it should be ready to use.
not sure about the tides as ive never fished mumbles pier but theres bound to be some1 from that area who can help.
good luck and tight lines
:D

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Try this link mate it may help.

http://www.sea-fishing.org/ftopict-20701.html

Cheers keith :D :D

eccles
Advanced User
Advanced User

Post by eccles »

Keith's link very interesting. If I am expecting or want bass and similar size fish I use size 1 or 1/0 but an awful lot of the time I use size 2 long shank Aberdeens just like Keith (I agree with him so often, it get's boring). The reason I use this size is because it will get me bream and flatties as well as the bass which frequent my area. Have in fact caught bass and smuts up to 6lbs with this size of hook - just remember that the carp men use small hooks and they are taking fish up to 20 lbs. The only time I use 2/0's and larger is when out in the boat and going after big cod, pollack, etc. I have seen guys fishing off our beach in the summer hundreds of times with wacking great hooks with the result that bream come along, quickly strip the bait and vanish again because no way are they going to get hooked with a 2/0 or 5/0, same applies to wrasse. Of course one acquires this knowledge with experience and that means regular fishing not once every six weeks or so.
Don't worry about whether the mackerel or squid for that matter, is still frozen when you bait up, it doesn't take long to thaw out in the sea. What is important in my experience is to mount it on the hook the right way round so that it doesn't break up too quickly. I cut a strip of mackerel then drive the hook through the skin first, bend it over then into the flesh side of the strip and out through the skin again. This means the flesh stays put without breaking up quite a long time in the water.

phatboy
Occasional
Occasional

Post by phatboy »

i stand corrected. maybe my hooks are too big.
(thats prob why i usually come home empty handed lol :D )

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 »

Glad to help whenever I can. The only problem with my method is that if you dont watch your gear then any fish caught will more than likly have swallowed the hook deep down making it a messy job unhooking the fish and either killing it in the process or putting it under a lot of stress.

In such cases I tend to cut my hook line at the hook in the hope that the hook will eventually corrode. Cheers keith :D :D

broadis

Post by broadis »

thanks for all the help guys it makes you realize that the smallest of changes can really make a big difference!
thanks also for the link!

cheers lee

squeaky
Occasional
Occasional

Post by squeaky »

hi lee when you going to pier ,i might be down there sunday from open till 2,you welcome to join me down there m8 .

swanseajack22

Post by swanseajack22 »

If the weather report was looking more positive, I'd definitely join you guys down there tomorrow. Bit miserable in the rain though :(( I had a quick couple of hours down there yesterday, and the landing platform at the end was really quite productive. Black bream to 2lb were being caught off all baits, and in all areas of the water. Ideally, I'd use size 2 - 4 hooks on a boom rig and just flick maybe 10 - 20 feet off the pier end, however they're so abundant right now, all types of rig and hook size are catching. Despite the weather, the sea was incredibly flat yesterday and my mate was hitting pollock, garfish, and mackerel on his mackerel baited float at almost every cast; about a 3 ft hook length with a size 4 hook works best if you're not fussy on species. Also saw a guy take one of the resident grey mullet with a float. A bread baited size 6 hook worked for him. A longer cast out off the corners of the landing platform will put your bait on sand, and I've seen a number of very good sized plaice landed from these areas in the past 2 weeks. Worm or squid is the bait of choice. Mackerel have been caught in large numbers from boats around the lighthouse, but don't seem to be shoaling that close to the pier yet. Bass can always be caught but it's mainly down to luck. Aiming for them from the pier can be a long and highly unrewarding activity.

Here's hoping the weather stays fine for you guys. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

I forgot to mention that in my experience, fishing from an hour before low tide and then all the way back in is most productive. However, right now an hour either side of low water appears to be producing most, and a couple of guys next to me had fished the tide from high to low and had taken several bream and pollock during this period, so basically any time of the tide is a good one right now, it seems. Also, frozen mackerel is far more successful than fresh or defrosted. Many reasons for this, but IMO it's primarily because it stays fresher on the hook for longer as it takes time to defrost. It also survives bites better than fresh so will be more likely to produce repeated bites, increasing the likelihood of a hooking.
Last edited by swanseajack22 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squeaky
Occasional
Occasional

Post by squeaky »

just checked surf might head down to beach on low water first and wade out and see whats in the surf then go back to the pier and have a crack :D