Anglesey shore fishing for the inexperienced?

anything Wales Coastline sea angling related here

Moderator: Admin

Pohaku

Anglesey shore fishing for the inexperienced?

Post by Pohaku » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:14 am

Hello all... I'm a newbie hoping for a bit of advice - sorry to come bursting through the door asking questions, I have searched through posts for the last couple of years and haven't found what I'm looking for!

I'm taking the other half camping in Anglesey next week, and we would like to do half a day or so sea fishing from the shore, with the ideal result being a nice fish to take back to the tent for supper. (Yes, a tall order I know!)

I am familiar with Anglesey, and have done a bit of coast fishing but not for many years. I have an incomplete set of ageing tackle, and fond memories of cast-snag-snap-cast-snag-snap on Anglesey's rocky areas!

I was wondering if anyone knows of anywhere on Anglesey where basic tackle can be hired for a day?

I see that Holyhead break wall is often recommended here, the inner face being less snaggy - this would suit us perfectly, but we need to get tackle for two without spending a load of money.

Any ideas, suggestions, advice?

strathy
Regular
Regular

Post by strathy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:58 am

Pohaku

Post by Pohaku » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:27 am

Thanks for that - I've been digging through all my old gear, and it would seem that I have pretty much everything - at least for one rod!

I'll need to research best bait and best place to fish on Anglesey, but otherwise I'm good to go.

Daft question: my line (20lb) is still on my old reel, and seems to be in perfect nick. (Rinsed with fresh water and dried before packing away) though it has been in storage for about 12 years. Does line have a shelf life?

If I need to buy new line, would 20lb suffice? Some sites I am reading seem to indicate that 50lb main line with 20lb hook length is best, though this seems like bloody thick line to me!

rabbi2
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by rabbi2 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:37 am

15lb to 18lb line with a shock-leader should suffice for most venues. As for the line on the spool, discard it as it is bound to let you down. Holyhead breakwater should be producing now. Bait-wise lug or mackerel or rag.
Cheers
Keith :D :D

Pohaku

Post by Pohaku » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Thanks for the advice chaps... I'll try and post some sort of report or pictures, especially if I have any sort of success!

Mark